Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

A little balance, enough venting, sharing a victory.

cocoabeachlorax
10 years ago

So, we've got gorgeous Crinum Lilies of the purple variety in the front yard. They bloom minimally, but I've been watching the blooms for seeds carefully. One bloom in particular was stolen (bad karma to whomever it is that stole that spike. I waited so patiently for that seed to ripen and you ripped it off. No good will come of that... but I digress) and the next few I salvaged didn't seem to be doing much of anything.

Until NOW ! I've got two baby purple crinums creeping up out of their little pot. Very exciting for me. More exciting is that now that I see that "they really do exist" and will sprout I'll run out of room for them soon, which means more to share !

What has been your latest success story ?

Comments (15)

• jenniferinfl
    10 years ago

Yay! That's great. I keep meaning to watch for seeds on my plants but all I've gotten so far are some Cleome seeds.. I've missed all the other ones.

My only success recently is that I *think* the Passiflora I've been trying to root has finally had one take. It still looks wilty, but it's been green for 4 weeks now, so I'm thinking I finally have one with some roots. This passiflora has been sprouting up by my parents mailbox for 20 years now and I've never had any luck either transplanting or rooting one. I'm pretty sure it's just an incarnata or some hybrid of one, so I don't know why it's been so stubborn about rooting for me. If this one doesn't take I'm going to just have to do a better job of watching for seeds. Or just buy a regular incarnata and call it close enough.. lol

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Off to learn about passiflora...

• morningloree
    10 years ago

My Diva Marie giant calla lily just popped up. It requires a lot of moisture to get the bulb to grow, so I was concerned about rotting the bulbs. I'll bet the passion flower is Maypop, it pops up in older neighborhoods, and was grown for it's fruit back in the day.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Is your purple crinum a Queen Emma? Mine started blooming for the first time this winter but everytime it looked like some seeds might start along came a cold snap and the stalk just sort of withered away. It's getting ready to bloom again so hopefully it'll produce seeds this time! I have been able to collect seeds from my mom's more mature Emma and currently have 2 or 3 seedlings growing in pots out back. I had to put a wire cage over the seedlings though as the squirrells kept trying to steal them!

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karalynn, I'm really not sure exactly what it is, but it does look like Queen Emma.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

When I moved here almost five years ago, I brought some dwarf poinciana seeds with me from South Florida. I had the orange and the yellow varieties. The home we bought was a foreclosure and was vacant for about 18 months. The yard had been totally neglected, overgrown, no water except rain, dead stuff everywhere, what a mess. After getting everything cut down and evaluating what I had, I created a garden design for the front and had 10 or twelve seedlings planted as anchors for various beds. I was going for sort of an informal hedge made up of many different varieties.

Well, the first winter here was brutally cold, killing all my poincianas. Started again from seeds, and the second winter was just as bad, but I was able to save two plants with covers that were also under the shade of an oak tree (only one still lives, but I have three new ones in a more-protected area). However, all the yellow plants and seeds were gone.

Fast foward to November, 2012. While at a hospice in Vero Beach waiting for my mother to end her life's journey, I noticed a yellow poinciana on the grounds with ripe seed pods. I scooped one up in the hope of reintroducing the yellow variety to my yard.

However, my first two attempts to get the seeds going failed. They'd germinate, but they just didn't make it for some reason.

Finally, on my last attempt with my last three seeds, success! I have one happy poinciana in a pot, waiting to get big enough to put in a bed and compete with the Four O'Clocks that are already in there. It is my hope that the yellow will look stunning mixed with the purple and white blooms of the Four O'Clocks.

Incidentally, the Four O'Clocks were a gift from my mother, originally obtained as volunteers from her mother's yard many years ago. So this will be a very special flower bed for me.

This post was edited by TheTradition on Tue, May 28, 13 at 13:58

• mocropot
    10 years ago

TheTradition, may I ask you if you will be willing to share some seeds of the orange variety with me for postage in case you have some extra?

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I have lots of seeds for the orange variety. Send me an e-mail to (jfwestjr AT earthlink DOT net) and I'll be glad to hook you up.

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a very lovely, and inspiring story, The Tradition.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

There are two crinums with purple leaves, one, the Queen Emma I believe, has white flowers and the other has pink flowers.

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ours are primarily white with some pink accent.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

The Tradition, I emailed you please let me know if you got it

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Yes mocropot, I replied to your email. Did you not receive it?

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Hey micropot, your seeds are on the way. Hope they do well for you!

• ckjudd
    10 years ago

Finding this site has been a victory for me! It has helped me Identify many of the type of plants in my new yard and some very nice, friendly, helpful friends.

All of the plants in my new beds were new to me. 1) because I haven't done any real gardening in almost 6 yrs. and 2) because of my move here to Florida 2 1/2 yrs. ago.

Cindy