Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinael01

Sharing EPCOT Gro-Tank info

tinael01
11 years ago

Hi All! Nick and I went on the "Behind the Seeds" tour at EPCOT and I wanted to share what we learned. First a photo and then instructions.

The first photo shows a simple gro tank made of a cheap plastic bucket filled with water and nutrient solution, a layer of styrofoam, and a few chunks of rock wool with plants growing in them.

This second photo is an aquarium gro-tank that you can even put fish in instead of nutrient solution. They fertilize the plants.

And now the instructions

Finally - remember the "use it or lose it" rule! This tour is affordable and FUN!!! I highly recommend it.

The Nutrient Solution EPCOT recipie - sorry bad photos, the first photo has the ingredients in a list but they don't tell the quantities of each.

Some other shots - Nick enjoying the SENSITIVE plant! He LOVED it!!! If anyone has one and can share it, please let us know.

A TOMATO TREE

Nick learns about Sorgum

Check out the CUKES Tom

Chili Thrip eating insects in a packet.

A shot of the pot a cacao tree is growing in so you can copy their method

A snap of the boat from the ride "The Land" going past

Micro-greens

Comments (14)

• imagardener2
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for posting great photos and intriguing ideas for hydroponics. Makes me want to visit EPCOT and I absolutely hate that type of thing (but your photos are that good).

Denise

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I agree Denise, looking at all that white sand on the floor it is obvious that most of our problems are soil born....

Also cool to see they have thrip-eating bugs, I want some of those Tina!

I'll never grow cukes out in the garden again, they do very well in the shade with minimal filtered sun and virtually NO bug problems!

Looks like you and Nick had fun, that's one trip that will go on my bucket list :-)

Tom

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Denise and Tom

The tour is $18 and worth every penny. The mites are developed specifically for greenhouses so I wonder if the uncontrolled heat and humidity outside will do them in....more research required for me but I posted a link for you below, Tom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amblyseius swirskii

• keiki
    11 years ago

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Tina,

I'm planning a trip to Epcot in the next couples weeks. I am just starting my research. Is there a particular website that you used to plan your trip (or are you an old hand at Epcot)?

Thanks!
    Carol in Jacksonville

• saldut
    11 years ago

Fantastic! thanks for sharing, Tina.....the tub with the veggies in water is similar to a project by a guy in the paper last year- he has the tank but has fish(tilapia) in it, w/a screen for plants and the plant-roots hang down and get their nutrients from the fish-water, he has a facility here in Fla. for production and is shipping the units to poor countries, so people have a meat and vegetable source they can maintain in their home... a 2-for-1 kind of thing...sally

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Carol! There is a special tour going on for another 2 weeks called the Gardens of the World tour. It is $60 for 3 hrs I think and happens on Tues Thurs and Friday as part of the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival. it is for 16 yrs plus. Here is the link because it is hard to find on the EPCOT website. I just use the basic EPCOT website to look around when I go, but if you have NETFLIX they have some shows on the disney parks that are fun to watch and give great info.

Phone:
    Call (407) WDW-TOUR or (407) 939-8687

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens of the World tour

11 years ago

Tina,

Thank you so much for the info! Much appreciated!

Carol

• tampasteve
    11 years ago

Your "sensitive tree" is a Mimosa tree. They were pretty common in south Mississippi when I was growing up, and I've seen them rarely around here.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/29

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Steve. The seeds look affordable but it's invasive. the plant they had looked more like a bushy fern an not much like the trees I remember growing up. I also don't remember the leaves on the trees moving so that's a twist. However, Google says you are right so it must be! Thanks again!

Carol did you go to the Epcot tour? I was thinking about trying to make it myself.

• tampasteve
    11 years ago

Tina, the seeds come in pods which look like paper-thin snow pea pods. The flowers are like purplish-pink explosions. They remind me of the "poof" on the top of some African ground bird.

As a kid, I'd torture the poor trees by running my finger along every frond on I could reach, to watch them fold up. :)

• joeworm
    11 years ago

I'd like to know what they are feeding those plants(how much of what) to get that kind of production....especially that tomato tree. One plant producing that much!!!

11 years ago

Tina, We did not get to make our trip to Epcot. Disappointing. We're hoping to go in the Fall.

Steve, when me and the neighborhood girls were young, we pretended they were powderpuffs. Aren't they sometimes called Powderpuff trees? Or do I have it mixed up with something else?

Carol in Jax

11 years ago

Yikes, grammar police! I meant to say "when the neighborhood girls and I were young". Geez.