Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlsm_gw

My 1st Butter Beans Of 2013

dlsm
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked my first butter beans of the season. Plan on giving them a taste test tonight.

My Butter Beans

Luther

Comments (17)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Awesome! Hope they're good! I have my first Kentucky Wonder pole beans close to harvest and I am anxiously awaiting the first taste!

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Luther

Congratulations on your harvest! I bet that they are very tasty, I will plant my butterbeans and cowpeas after my other beans are done, I am in full harvest season now with the beans, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes and bananas. The cool season crops will have to come out soon, it is too hot for them now...

Silvia

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Tradition, know you will enjoy the Kentucky Wonder pole beans. My Romano pole beans are slowing down in their production.

Thanks Silvia, yes it is time to start the summer crops. My eggplants are producing and my purple hull peas will be ready very soon. Also my okra plants are full of blossoms and I will have some fried okra along with my peas.

Luther

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Really nice harvest Luther! Is this the first time that you are growing this variety?

I didn't plant any limas yet but I do have a row of yardlong bean plants that are about 8 inches tall now. I planted bush and pole beans in the spring. They produced heavily and they are almost finished now. I guess I should plant lima beans in their place.

Just like Silvia, my winter garden is just about over. I'm pulling up several Swiss chard, kale, and collard plants every day to feed them to the chickens.

Christine

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Christine, Yes this is my first time of growing this butter bean. I don't know what variety it is. I ordered the seed from richfarmgarden.com as sieve or Carolina butter bean and this what I got. I was hopeing it was a pole sieve but it turned out to be a bush whatever. But the taste is wonderful. I have some Thorogreen baby limas that will be ready soon. Also some HBJBB'S growing and between all these I will be swamped in butter beans.

Here is a picture of my Cowpeas and some of my other garden.

My Cowpeas

Luther

10 years ago

Luther, very nice looking garden. I have a patch of green beans that is the size of your cowpea patch which needs to be pulled very soon. After seeing your cowpea patch, I see that I should replace my green beans with cowpeas. You mentioned Purple Hull Peas earlier. Is that the variety in this patch? Where did you get your seeds? I only have a small packet cowpeas and I need much more to plant as heavily as you did. I didn't realize that I could plant cowpeas as heavy as green beans. I guess I was giving my cowpeas too much space.

As for butterbeans, do I understand that you said that the sieva/Carolina butterbeans are bush beans? I prefer bush beans since I have plenty of garden space. My pole green beans are almost finished. I'll be planting the pole lima beans there that you gave me very soon. You must have a separate freezer, as I do. Good thing cowpeas and butterbeans freeze well. They're a great healthy food to have a lot of!

Christine

10 years ago

This is a portion of my vegetable garden on May 7th. The bush green bean plants don't look so nice now since they are done producing. This is one of the spots where I should plant some cowpeas. I have more space than this to plant also.

Luther, What about your okra? I've grown okra before and found the plants were always covered in ants. Do you have that problem?

Christine

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Chistine,

You have a beautiful garden. If I only had the space that you have. Yes, it is time for the hot weather vegetables. My cowpeas are where my winter Broccoli was. The peas are the Top Pick Pinkeye peas from Twilleyseed.com This is one of many purple hull peas that I like. One of the best small baby limas is the Thorogreen or Cangreen and are the bush variety. The Henderson is a white butter bean bush variety and the white butter peas is also a good bush butter bean. Lakebutlerfarmcenter.com is about the least expensive web site but they are out of the purple Hull peas and they only sell 1 pound or greater. They have the cangreen in stock. Once I get a variety that I like I save seed for future plantings unless it is a hybrid. If I have to, I will spray a mild insecticide on some vegetables. I have not been bothered by ants on the Okra. Also some vegetables I spray a preventive spray of fungicide or insecticide as required. The cowpeas requires that preventive spray. Sorry I'm rambling.

Here is a picture of the last of my Jade greens. I got out early this morning and picked them. My neighbors will enjoy them and the other vegetables I picked. We are getting more vegetables than we can eat and our freezers are all full. We have three freezers and Dottie would fill fifty if we had them.

My Jade Green Beans

Luther

• toomanyprojects
    10 years ago

Wow Luther! Beautiful bountiful garden! Are the Jade green beans bush or pole? and how is their flavor? I have to say I have been dissapointed with my Kentucky Wonder and French climbing pole beans. My mom likes Contender and I have not seen any seeds in the local stores here and they are bush variety which I generally don't have room for. Could the flavor be affected by soil composition? Can I add something to the soil to improve flavor?

What varieties of any veggies are y'all planting now? Had a major rust problem on Kentucky's this year and they have still produced. Will try asparagus beans this week and see if I like the flavor.
    Thanks!
    Marla

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marla, thanks for your kind comment. The Jade green bean is a bush and the taste is outstanding. In the raised beds I mixed all the ingredients to make the soil. Which consist mainly of pine bark fines, peat, manure, lime, insecticide granules, fungicide granules and a time release fertilizer with all the trace elements. Different vegetables require different growing conditions.

It is summer time here and only a few vegetables can stand this summer heat. A few are Asparagus beans, cowpeas, Okra, eggplant, sweet potatoes, to name a few that pops into my mind at present. I grow a combination of pole and bush varieties. If you have a rust problem plant a variety that is resistant to rust. Also apply a preventive rust fungicide spray periodically. Try different varieties until you find what is satisfactory to your area.

Happy gardening to all,
    Luther

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have some Pole Harry Black Jungle Butter Beans and bush Thorogreen Butter Beans growing where some of my winter vegetables were. So they will be later than some of the other vegetables.

HBJBB & Thorogreen Butter Beans

Luther

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Todays vegetables I gathered. Zucchini, Squash, Okra, Shelly Beans and eggplant. Most all of these vegetables will be given to neighbors.

Assorted Vegetables

Happy Gardening To Everyone,
    Luther

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Lucky neighbors, Luther

10 years ago

You have quite the garden!!! Most of those vegetables (from the last pic) would go great on the grill but I'm sure that you know that. What variety of eggplant are you growing?

What an abundance of lima beans you have. You are certainly the master of the bean family!

I wrote down the info that you mentioned about the web sources for seeds. I'm going to look into it.

Christine

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shuffles, yes the neighbors enjoy the fresh vegetables. I like to see the family with children get the fresh vegetables.

Christine, I got all my eggplants mixed up this spring. I planted the seed of several to give them a taste test to see which ones are best. I have Rosita, Rosa Bianca, Listada De Gandia and Millionaire that I have harvested. They are all very tasty. I won't plant any more butter beans until the last week in August for my fall crop. When the night temperature is in the high seventies, day time temperatures in the mid to high nineties some varieties won't make. July and August the blossoms won't set. That is my experience in my location. They remind me of Tomatoes which won't set their blossoms.

Luther

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christine, Here is a picture of my Whitfield Pole Butter Pea Lima. I purchased the seed from Heavenlyseed.net. They sell seed in a small quantity. The Fordhook 242 Lima is a large green bush lima that you may be interested in. They have a large selection of beans.

Whitfield Butter Pea Lima

Luther

• dlsm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Today I picked my 1st mess of pinkeye peas. Along with the daily zucchini.

My Pinkeye Peas

Happy Gardening To All,
    Luther

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus