Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Burpeeana Early Peas require staking?

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 18:15

Do Burpeeana Early Peas require staking? I have started growing these peas called Burpeeana Early and the packet indicates that the 24�� tall vines need no support. But right now they are forming tentacle vines so I�m thinking if maybe this is untrue. Also I had limited containers so I am growing them close together. What problems can this can this cause?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Burpeeana Early Peas require staking?

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, May 5, 11 at 8:05

Hi Ecopal

First you have to let us know what zone you are in to help you better.

The first lesson in gardening is very simple, there are warm season crops and cold season crops.

Peas are cold season crops, anywhere that you are in Florida we are doing warm season crops.

If you grow them again at the right time, if the peas said trellis then you need to provide one and if they said bush, when grown in containers I still provide some support like you can cut a bamboo pole in smaller parts and tie them. The minimum space that I would plant them would be 6 inches or so.

Silvia

o

Your biggest problem will be that it is too hot now for peas. Peas like cool weather.

o

You can grow southern peas or yard longs now.

Dianne

o

I live in Hialeah. And even though I am new at gardening I know that peas are cold weather crops but my neighbor managed to grow lots of container lettuce during the summer. I have no idea how but I figured if she could grow cold season crops I figured I could do it to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here