Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Buy a plant, start cuttings immediately!

I'm wondering how many of you are like me? I start rooting cuttings of just about any plant I buy, the day I bring it home. It hardly hits the pavement and I have already plundered all of the multinode branches for cuttings. I brought home a new tropical hibiscus 'Seminole Pink' yesterday. I know it is an oldie-but-goodie standard, single hibiscus, but to me, it is the perfect shade of pink. I'd post photos of my new baby but she's all chopped up! I already have six cuttings under way. So a Google Images link will have to do.

I have a feeling that Wallisadi is in my club... and probably just about everyone here?! What did you buy and what are you rooting?

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Hibiscus Seminole Pink

Comments (8)

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Rule of thumb: If my plants are looking good, I'm not propagating properly. lol

Love that S.P. hibiscus. For such a ubiquitous plant in Florida, I never tire of seeing them.

Up until two weeks ago, I had probably 200 coleus cuttings, along with a vast array of the various tropicals.

Most recently, I've got about 20 alternanthera cuttings, 10+ Angel Trumpets, a few Copperleaf cuttings, a small developing bed of Wendy's Wish Salvia, and a med. pot of 15 or so Devil's Backbone.

I've sworn not to mess with anything else until I get all my props organized and bedded, and the sooner the better, as I really want to focus on some gingers and heliconia.

Mike

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I did this with all my plants that I purchased from the Lake County Extension Office sale. I turned 6 plants into... umm... counts fingers... umm... can I borrow someone else's fingers too?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, your rule made me laugh. 200 coleus? That's a lot of pinch and poke! What do you use for containers and rooting medium for that number of cuttings?

What variety of alternanthera are you growing? I love Party Time (who doesn't)? I also have Salvia Wendy's Wish and boy is that a winner of a plant - comes back from frost early, blooms right away - way ahead of other plants that are just now getting around to blooming since winter.

I would be interested to hear what you are going to do with your gingers. I have white butterfly, pinecone/shampoo and variegated shell ginger. Still hoping to one day get blue ginger. Wallisadi grows it with ease.

Carol

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Yeah, I got the Party Time Alternanthera from the above mentioned plant sale and turned two plants into about 18 plants. Possibly more. And those cuttings are growing like gangbusters. Same thing with the firespikes I got from the sale. I think the only plants I didn't split/cut were the Golden Dewdrops.

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

I love cuttings, but the ones I have the most luck with, I don't need more of. Do I? (Actually, I think I do, but I don't have enough places to put them)

How easy are hibiscus to root? Do you need to use the rooting hormone? (note: I don't need any more plants, but I have a small problem with addiction)

I did start a cutting of an Angel Trumpet the other day, I have several coleus, some Angelonia (a damaged piece broke off, it was a freebie from a nursery, destined for the trash), some pelargonium, a Sunsatia Mango nemesia (also from the nursery), um.... and a few more things I can't think of right now.

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Carol, was that your thread awhile back about mixing potting soils? I think I'd posted in there with a photo of some of the coleus. I just use the cheap potting soil, Lamberts, from Home Depot. A good soaking once a week keeps it fresh and perfectly viable.

I only have 3 varieties of alternanthera right now, Party Time, Bloodleaf (Joseph's Coat?) and Purple Knight.

I have a couple varieties of Ginger, most from corms. Shampoo, variegated shell, green shell, kahili, a few costus, Scarlet Fever, and one or two others I'm not sure of yet.

Grabbed 20 or so corms at USF, and didn't get to label the bags beforehand.
    I've got a fairly shaded area that's mostly bare right now. Some will end up in that bed, a new bed I'm just finishing up now, and a few are mixed in with my Ice Cream Bananas bed on the side of my pool.

Blue Ginger is gorgeous. Only ones for sale I've seen recently are really small. I'm looking forward to acquiring one eventually.

Here's a photo of about 1/2 of the coleus I had been propagating at the time. Never really focused on shooting them, so I don't have any good shots

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I am more of an opportunist, if I bring a plant home and the branch is broken off, I will try to root it. I have propagated Red Shield Hibiscus, Pentas, Sweet Potato, Firespike, Coleus, and Hibiscus. I am experimenting with Nun's Orchid, Pepperomia, Red Riding Hood Mandevilla, Hawaiin Sunset Vine, Crotons, and Duranta. For Hibiscus I bent a branch and stuck it in a pot. After about 6 weeks, I separated it from the parent, it did fine. I also have some in Perlite that look good right now. I have planted some seeds from my Black Pearl Ornamental and hoping to get some babies soon. I have Blue Ginger, happy to share. I just got a Weeping Blue Ginger, will try to figure out how to make more. I am a rookie propagator, have found in most cases, rooting hormone hasn't made a huge difference.

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

^ That "bent a branch and stuck it in a pot" reminded me - I potted up a blue daze earlier in the spring. There were three pieces that had layered themselves, and had roots. I cut them off and potted them. I also took some three cuttings (while I was cutting off frost damaged pieces) and stuck them in pots.

ALL the rooted pieces died. All the cuttings made it. Go figure, lol. All the cuttings made it, that is, until my dog got to them. Two are now MIA and surely dead. One is in a safer place and doing fine.