Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvird01

I've got it made in the shade :)

Rhonda
10 years ago

After 5 years in Florida and every year saying that I wanted to create a shady reading nook to make it bearable to sit outside and not melt, I finally got moving. I spent the last 4 weekends clearing out the middle of a large clump of trees and pulling and digging up gopher apple and trimming branches so that I could walk under them. I know that it will be a lot of maintenance keeping the tree shots cleared and leaves from taking over. But this was a perfect spot and the soil was much better than my sandhill soil due to all the composted leaves.
I put down 2 layers of good quality landscape cloth for my path and topped with large pine bark nuggets. I wanted a woodland garden look. I added a resin wicker loveseat and end table. I couldn't find cushions and pillows I liked so I made my own with some gorgeous, 60's style outdoor fabric and tone on tone yellow and blue for the pillows. I'll be taking them in each night as i cant stand miildewy cushions.
So far, I've added part sun loving plants around the edges and full shade plant in the center. Little gnomes and hummingbird feeders as well as my windchimes add a little life. I need to make gnome homes and add some lighting in the trees and some path edging, maybe decorative small plates or colored bottles.
So far I am loving it. I know that it will get muggier, but it was 95 plus here this past week ans never go hotter than 80 on my loveseat.
I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Rhonda

Comments (24)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Wow Rhonda!
    That was a lot of work....I'm exhausted just from reading about it!

It sounds really cool, though and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Susie

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Sounds lovely!! keep an eye on those Gnomes though. They tend to drink all night and and get rather sassy sometimes lol gary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Rhonda, it sounds like a slice of heaven! Photos please, when you can!

Carol in Jacksonville

• coffeemom
    10 years ago

Looking forward to photos. It sounds wonderful but Gary's not kidding about those gnomes.
    (I never get tired of watching this)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gnome management

• Truscifi
    10 years ago

It sounds wonderful! I look forward to the pics!

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, now that I can log in again, I'll try to post some pics, These were taken last night as the sun was going down. For about 1 hour as the sun in coming up and another as it is going down, the site is in sun.
    I've still got a long way to go and as the plants mature I'll love it more. As you can see, most of my yard is sand and trees :)

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how to put more than one picture in a post, so I'll do as separate posts. Sorry.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

caladiums, agastache and salvia

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

caladium, pink polka dot, autumn fern

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My windchimes and tropicanna (lower left). Not sure if I will leave the canna there or not, I'll wait to see how they look as they get bigger.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

resin wicker loveseat...the table was free but I am looking for something with a little more character.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

caladium closeup

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendy's wish salvia closeup

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bearded tongue, not sure of the name

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

agastache, summer love I think

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Summer night delphinium

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This little guy caused Gardenweb to crash yesterday. I should have listened to your warnings :)

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

full side view

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cushion and pillow closeup

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last pic for tonight, I promise :) Any suggestions for a neat border for the path so that the mulch doesn't blend in with the leaves as much would be appreciated...thanks! Time for bed as I'll be getting up for work in 6 hours.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Rhonda, very nice and peaceful and I like the plant selection.

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

I love it!

I have an area which has recently had some "man stuff" moved out of it (thank goodness). There are two large oaks and a cedar in a triangle. In front of it (about 6 feet) is one of my [pitiful] beds, one which I debated tearing out; in fact, I pulled up the border and was going to let it go, but then a ton of volunteers came up, I planted some things that needed to be in the ground, and now it seems to be reverting back to a garden again. I think I may keep it a garden and extend it back into the trees. That just means a fight with the vines (so many vines here!).

Your delphinium - I bought two, one is in morning sun in the ground, and one is in a pot in afternoon sun. The afternoon sun one is doing a lot better, so I'm going to dig up the other and put it in a similar exposure.

Do you have experience with the delphinium? Can you tell me about it? I bought the two on impulse because the colors were amazing. :)

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

How lovely!! The perfect spot to take a break and have a cup of tea.

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am just so glad to be able to grow some shade plants now.
    Aharriedmom, your garden appears to be trying to tell you that it doesn't want to die without a fight. Your idea sounds awesome, a peaceful cove. You fight vines and I'll fight the gopher apple and tree shoots and maybe one day they'll give up :)
    These are the first delphiniums I've grown in Florida. I grew them in Ohio but I was aways afraid they would fry down here. I'm hoping they'll make it. But like you, I fell in love with this bright blue. You'll have to keep me updated on how yours do.
    Katkin, I agree...tea on weeknights and wine on weekends ;)