Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natal Plum (Carissa macrocarpa) cuttings propagation, how to?

Posted by happyvegan 10B (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 18:41

We had to move our very large Natal Plum from the front of our home today due to new windows going in. It required an excavator to move it. I am praying and praying that it survives the move.

Anyway, I had to trim it up prior to moving it. Well I have all of these trimmings and want to try propagating them. I have them soaking right now in Superthrive. So now what do I need to do?

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natal Plum (Carissa macrocarpa) cuttings propagation, how to?

I've never heard of anyone growing fruit trees from cuttings, but you will need to water that transplant really well every day for the next few weeks and keep it moist (but not wet) all summer.

o

I've grown fruit trees from cuttings many times up north, this is my first year trying to root out fruit tree trim cuttings in Florida.I also soak them in super thrive as the starter. Keep the direct sun off them but they do need diffused light. Keep them well misted, if they dry out they are toast. Fogger nozzles on a timer works well for that.

Lou

o

Lou, I hope you have some success. What do you use as a medium?

MOO (I've always wanted to do that)!
Carol

o

Do you consider carissa a fruit tree? I know the fruit is edible, but I don't know anyone who grows it for that. Just curious as to whether you use it or just treat it as an ornamental shrub.

o

I love the scent of those flowers - 1 of my faves!

1 thing you might try to ensure the transplanted shrub survives is to cut it back a lot, so more energy gets directed to the roots. Not sure what Superthrive is, but you might try watering the transplanted shrub w/that as well - I always use Maxicrop seaweed extract on my transplants & it seems to help. I fill the planting hole w/ it before putting the plant in & give it a good drench afterwards as well.

You might try using rooting hormone (like Rootone) to dust the ends of the cuttings before planting.

Purdue has a page saying that it propagates best by air & ground layering & that cuttings root better when branch is partially cut through 2 months before planting.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/carissa.html

Floridata's page also says it's mainly propagated by cuttings...

Here is a link that might be useful: Carissa @ Floridata

This post was edited by carolb_w_fl on Fri, May 24, 13 at 10:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here