Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID? - Birds love it!

Posted by sharbear50 10 Pembroke Pines (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:41

The birds sure do love these bright colored orange/reddish seeds/berries. The pods are a golden color and open up and drop these orange things (about 4 of these 1/2 inch long seeds per pod) on the ground. I don't know what kind of tree it is? I am in South Florida. Anyone know what kind of tree this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID? - Birds love it!

Carrotwood:

Here is a link that might be useful: carrotwood

o

IMO, an awful pest tree - the seedlings come up EVERYWHERE & rapidly become huge & hard to remove.

o

Glad I don't own this property. The tree is quite old and very tall. I don't see any seedlings so maybe it isn't as big a problem as it has been made out to be...? Like I said, the birds love it.

o

It's not seedlings, it's seeds scattered by the birds.

EDIT There was a huge eradication effort in Dade/Broward years ago, and I believe it's illegal to plant there now, too.

This post was edited by writersblock on Tue, May 7, 13 at 21:48

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here