Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Zebras are back!

Posted by sis3 9b N. Pinellas (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 18:48

Please forgive my excitement. I haven't seen a Zebra Longwing the last two years!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Zebras are back!

Awesome!

o

And they are on a white Buddleia too! I have a white Buddleia and the butterflies never touch it.

Beautiful pics...thanks for sharing.

o

Hi
They are runaway most common butterfly in my garden even in winter. Do you have any passion flower around that is the host plant for them ?? gary

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 6:14

I have them in my garden this year too. Like you, I hadn't seen them in two years.

Great photo's. :o)

o

Great pics

o

I've had several types of passionflower in my yard for 4 years and this is the spring they finally came to my yard in noticeable presence. The yellow stripes are almost flourescent yellow-green, very pretty as they float around.

Denise

o

Lucky you! Those are my favorites - & the state butterfly as well.

I haven't seen any around here for years, but you're giving me hope.....

o

This should be the year for everyone in zones 8 and 9. The winter was very warm and many survived in zones 9A and B.

Freezes wipe them out and also their chrysalises apparently. I have had lots for about two months now. I didn't have any until mid June last year.

I have virtually every major large butterfly identified in my county visiting my property with some regularity--no Zebra Longwings, though. I do see them in a nearby park.

In my garden it's the Year of the Butterflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here