Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off topic - Bird ID

Posted by sharbear50 10 Pembroke Pines (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 18:51

I was working on my tomato plants out front of my house and these two birds just strolled by. Anyone know what kind of birds they are? I have only seen them once before. I am in South Florida. They weren't bothered by me or my neighbors cutting their grass across the road.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off topic - Bird ID

I believe they are Egyptian geese.

o

Thank you! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what birds they are! I think you are correct.

o

Here is a really good picture of them.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/73829038

o

They are pretty birds:)

o

Had to look these guys up - interesting- apparently a shelduck:
a cross between a goose & a duck...

Range and Habitat

Egyptian Geese are mainly found south of the Sahara in Africa, along the Nile River Valley, and in southern Israel. They were introduced into England in the 1700’s, and some feral birds can be found in the United States. They are usually found inland, close to wet areas, and can sometimes be found on the open plains.

Behavior

The Egyptian Geese are terrestrial; they spend a lot of time ashore. They feed both day and night sometimes far from the water. They are good swimmers and divers, but do not filter their food. They mainly eat seeds, leaves, grass, berries, and herbs. They also eat locusts, worms, insects, and small animals. They can be real pests when they visit cultivated areas in the dry season, causing real damage to crops. They will perch in trees and on buildings, often returning to the same spot each night to roost.

Egyptian Geese are notoriously bad-tempered especially during breeding season. They are quarrelsome and aggressive, very intolerant of other birds, including their own kind. They can even be vicious. The males hiss and the females make a cackling noise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egyptian Goose

o

Man and climate are creating some interesting population changes in animals. The past few years the Mexican Tree ducks, or Pee-chee-chee-nee ducks, have been becoming more and more commonplace in the Villages and according to my In-Laws they weren't there 4-5 years ago. Wood Storks and Brown Pelicans are showing up more too. While I can not comment on how long they've been here since this is only our third year, it seems that each year we get more and more White Ibises... Ibisi? Cruising our yard in the Spring looking for grubs.

o

Yeah, we started seeing the Egyptian geese in the central Pembroke Pines area in small numbers about 5-6 years ago. Now they are quite common throughout Weston, Davie, SW Ranches, Miramar too - as far as I can tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here