Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachlilyfl

Rain ... think it will come??

beachlily z9a
11 years ago

I'm between Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach. We've had 4 inches of rain since January 1. Could it be that this little storm out there would dump on us?

I've gotten my neighbors to agree to do rain dances in their backyards to get this thing down here! We need rain! My daylilies look like it's August! They need to look lush at this time of year. Oh, please, please, make it rain!

Comments (18)

• wallisadi
    11 years ago

i'm watering......can't take tooooo much more of this, dry, hot wind today. great winter, lousy spring....welcome to central florida!

• jellybobelly
    11 years ago

I'll participate in the rain dance, but I should warn you that I am rhythmically challenged.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I'm not too optimistic (but, I AM Hopeful) they've dropped my
    rain chance for tomorrow from 50% to 30% :o(. My best chance of rain is Monday but its only 50%...not what I consider a good enough chance to actually get any. I'm willing to do a rain dance myself. I've had less than 4" of rain since January too...our Lakes are SO low!!

Let's hope we all get some much needed rain!

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Have had rain even floods north and south of me while I'm 4 inches below normal Finished last year about 7 inches below !! I pay my taxes on time even separate my recyclables but still no rain Afraid my dancing would cause a hurricane but getting close to worth the risk lol gary

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

My butterfly garden is nothing compared to last year. The perennials are struggling and I'm watering them every day. The annuals sown by seed are doing worse. By this time last year the cosmos and zinnias were well up and blooming, this year they are struggling just to get up a few inches. The lawn (Bahia) is on it's own, but the weeds are just doing great. I hit the shrubs once a week because I don't want to lose them, the veggie garden is on a water-drip hose system but don't have much out there now. I hope the pole beans that I planted last week come up.

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

Forecast for my area says 50 percent chance today, 60 percent chance tonight, and 70 percent chance tomorrow, 60 percent chance Tuesday, 50 percent chance Wednesday and T-storms the rest of the week, so it's looking good for here.

I'll go wash the car just for insurance.

Lou

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Yay!!! Thanks you guys for the Rain Dance...its working!! Its pouring here!!!!

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

Pouring down rain here too. This is the kind of rain that will cause my tomatoes to split open.

• beachlily z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We've had 4.5" of rain since yesterday! More than doubles what we've had since January. No damage, some wind and mostly nice slow rain interrupted by torrents. Great lightening storm this afternoon! Clouds lined up on the beach about 1/2 mile each side of us and tried to see which one could make the most noise. Windows rattled for 45 minutes!

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

We've had at least 3" of rain in the past 24 hours which is great! It looks like I will need to pump some of the water out of my pond when I get home from work tonight. The down side is I didn't sleep too good last night due to all the lighting and thunder. I was even up at 3:30 this morning unplugging all the electronics after a particularly loud boom jolted me awake!

Kara

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Kara,

The sheriffs office has a code red alarm system and will call you if there is a criminal running around or if their is a weather event. My wife and my cell phones went off last night at the same time at 4:29 to an alert there was a possible tornado on the ground in or headed toward Inverness. Might want to sign up for it....We had 4 inches here and still falling.

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Congratulations on the rain!

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    11 years ago

Having lived in tornado alley, I am a great fan of weather radios. They are cheap and work. We live a few blocks North of the Inverness airport. The tornado warning sure got our attention. I just went out and dumped the rain gauge. There was 6 1/4 inches in it since yesterday afternoon. The lightening from the current band is just starting, so I should probably send this before the power bumps come... Oh yeah, I picked all the yellowish or better tomatoes yesterday so I wouldn't loose them. Egg plant parmigiana tonight.

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

Bamboo, where do you go to sign up for that warning? I didn't hear about the tornado warning until I got to work this morning. In 2004 I had a tornado jump my house and I've never been so glad to live at the bottom of a large hill which is probably why it jumped the house (the tornado came over the top of the hill heading towards me). I only live a block away from a volunteer fire station and they used to have a siren there but it's been years since I've heard it.

Kara

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Kara,

Here is the link. We have been signed up for a year and this is only the second or third time it has activated so it isn't like there are a lot of false alarms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Code red

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

Here in West Tampa, after an inch and a half earlier in the week, today we got almost 3.5 inches. That just about doubles the total for the year.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

We got 2" this morning - THANK GOD!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Its POURING right now!! Will have to wait till it stops to see how much my rain gauge says...Happy camper over here as well!!