Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my mums bloom before fall?

Posted by sherryocala 9A Florida (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 19:40

I planted these lovely lavender/mauve mums last September. Then the freezes came and killed them to the ground before they had a chance to do their stuff. They have come back very vigorously, growing into big green mounds but they are not blooming. Will they bloom in the heat? Will they wither once summer sets in? Should I pot them up and plant something else in their place? They're getting pretty huge plus I think I'd like some flowers along with the green.

Thanks.
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my mums bloom before fall?

The baby mums planted last fall are blooming now, white and orange, don't know why. Very weird with all the spring flowers. yours sound more normal.

I thought mums bloomed not by temperature but by hours of sunlight. mine are confused obviously.

o

I can't tell you about growing them in FL, but in NH I planted them in the fall and mulched heavily in December. I uncovered them in the spring and scratched in compost.
On the 4th of July I cut them back by 1/2 and scratched in more compost. In September they were in full bud and I had lovely blooms till the first hard frost.
If I hadn't cut them back in July they would have bloomed in September. I learned this tip from Paul Parent who I listened to every Sunday morning on the radio.
Hope it helps.

o

In my experience they will bloom spring and fall here. Aren't we lucky?

Deadhead and trim back after the bloom. They get bushier when pinched back often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here