Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Anticipation, anti-ci-pa-a-tion

gcmastiffs
15 years ago

Lookee what is growing on my old Turkey pen! These came from $1 Dragonfruit cuttings purchased at Mounts, stuck in 1 gallon pots, and left forgotten, laying in the full sun side of the pen.

Grapevines cover most of the pen each summer, but these very tough Dragonfruit cacti have survived with total neglect.

I can't wait to see them open! The buds are HUGE, and to me they look close to bloom.

My other Dragonfruit vines are small, and these mistreated ones are the first to show a desire to fruit.

Lisa

Comments (17)

• nytrinigemini
    15 years ago

Lisa,

It is gorgeous....I've been wondering what to use to keep up the dragon fruit. Right now mine is on a little triangular tomato cage....I would love to see how you kept your looking so great.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see that bloom open!

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

ooooh! I want dragon fruit!

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Lisa,

That is soooo cool. And I have a question for you. You have a chirimoya, don't you. Do they breed true from seed? I used to eat them all the time in Chile and recently bought a fruit here, wondering if those big seeds would be worth planting.

Susannah

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I stayed up intil 11 last night, and got to see this!

The photos do not do them justice. Very pretty flowers, even when only partly opened!

They really stand out at night, almost glowing.

Susannah, yes, you can grow Cherimoyas from seed easily. I have 5 or 6 of them. My oldest one is about 10' tall, and is a very attractive tree. You will need to hand pollinate them to get fruit, in Florida. Definately worth growing!

Lisa

• nytrinigemini
    15 years ago

Gorgeous Lisa

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    15 years ago

Lisa: Is dragon fruit a particular cactus, night blooming? I think what I have is an orchid cactus but not sure. I thaught it was a night blooming cyrus but found out the cyrus flowers are much smaller and and have a aroma.
    Mine looks like yours. dinner plate flowers. It had developed red fruit a couple of times but fell off. Yours is blooming a lot earlier then mine. It usually has its first flush in June and them three or four more during summer. Mine is growing on a palm and what is left of a dead oak tree. The weight of the plant was so heavy it broke off the trunk about 15 feet up. One night I had 55 flowers open.

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Lisa, the flowers are lovely, now how long before the fruit will be ready to eat?

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Lisa, I must confess to a little confusion also.

I have some cactus that came from my grandmother house.

She called it night blooming cirrus , but we never ate the fruit.

This IS the dragon fruit , right ?

D`Ann

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

Thanks for staying up to watch the show and photographing it for us to see, Lisa! Gorgeous flowers!!!
    ~Betsy

• corar4gw
    15 years ago

I hope that's what I have to look forward to - eventually. My dragon fruit is only about 6" tall and has a LOT of fuzzy little thorns. Is this how they look when they're babies?
    What are their requirements? Right now, mine's in a pot. I'd be willing to build it it's very own "tree" to get that sort of result! cora

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Wow, sure glad you stayed up to catch these beautiful blooms. Wonderful! Are they scented?

FlowerLady

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As far as I known, all Cactus fruits are edible. The fruit from the pickly pear cactus is widely eaten and used in preserves.

There are many different cacti that look like the Dragonfruit vines pictured above. Apparently, some do not fruit? If you want the yummy edible varieties, get named ones. They grow easily from cuttings.

I didn't get to smell the flowers, they are too high, and I didn't want to climb a ladder in the dark.

A cactus with 55 flowers has to be a stunning sight!!! WOW!! I can only hope to get such a show in the future!

Mine now appear to be forming red-finned fruits. Yippee!!!! I hope they stay on.

Lisa

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    15 years ago

I love white flowers.

I have two magnolias and their flowers are beautiful and big, but yours are, wow!!!they seem to glow in the dark!

thanks for sharing. teeka

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

Lisa,

Those flowers are just stunning! As for chirimoya, the one I had wasn't very good. I saved the seeds, but I'm wondering if I should try to buy another one in hopes of better flavor. I'd really hate to plant one, raise it up to a tree, do the hand-pollinating trick, only to get disappointing fruit. There are so many millions of other things I can spend my gardening time on. weeding and pulling virginia creeper out of just about everything top the list at the moment. But thanks for the info. I'll save the seeds anyway, simply because I have such a hard time throwing out anything that might make a suitable plant here.

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Holy Jeepers, Lisa, that looks bigger than the eggplant that ate Chicago! Stunning blooms! I have a small dragon from Gary that I think is getting too much sun, I need to move it to sacred ground "Under the Pergola" where Everything grows! I need Dennis to build a pergola over the whole yard! lol

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!