Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Soak Cuttings in Miracle Gro Solution?

(This question was also posted in the Brug Forum but didn't receive any response.)

I recently purchased a couple of brugmansia (angel trumpet) cuttings. The seller included a set of care instructions and one item was new and intriguing to me. The seller wrote, "Plants are soaked in Miracle Gro solution to assist in transplant and reduce the shock in transplanting." Huh. What kind of MG solution would that be?

I have to say, the cuttings were extremely healthy and perky upon arrival and although they had no roots when they hit my doorstep, they have rooted at lightening speed. I know that all of the environmental conditions are favorable, but man, I wish all my brugs would root this quickly!

Has anyone ever heard of soaking cuttings in a Miracle Gro solution? If so, which Miracle Gro product is used and what is the recipe/mix rate? How long do you soak the cuttings? Soak the entire cutting or just the rooting end?

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Thu, May 23, 13 at 19:56

Comments (13)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

they're just talking about a blue water solution. mix up a batch of the blue water according to label directions for potted plants. put the cuttings in the water like you would a vase of fresh flowers. When roots are going good, plant in potting soil. I have done this with plain water with many different plants. Mexican petunia is especially well suited for this technique.

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

Carol, I've never heard of using MG for cuttings.

When I purchased my two Brugs back in March, I had to trim them back to fit them in my car. When I got home, I cut the trimmings down further and just popped the cuttings in some moist soil, and they've been growing like gangbusters.

For hardwood plants, brugs cuttings seem to adapt faster than coleus for me. It's unbelievable.

I'm sure the experts know better than I, but I can't imagine going through the MG motions, it just seems unnecessary.

24" potted Brug

One of three pots of cuttings

Mike

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tradition, what is a "blue water" solution? Are you referring to Miracle-Gro water soluble all-purpose plant food mixed at the recommended rate of one Tbsp per gallon? Note that these cuttings had no roots on them upon arrival - no white nubs. They were just fresh cuttings with some tiny green leaves. I'm posting the question because I'm curious what the seller was talking about.

Mike, I generally do not have trouble rooting brugs either, but see link below about a brug I purchased on eBay last September. It, and a freebie that was sent along with it, wouldn't root for anything. I'm interested to find out more because maybe I could have revived that pitiful one. Unfortunately, when a mail-order seller takes you for a ride and sends you a stick that's been sitting around for oh, maybe six months, it could be necessary. Your brugs - blooming already! - and cuttings look great!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Brug cuttings that wouldn't root

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Yeah, Miracle-Gro water soluble all-purpose plant food (or any other similar product), but mixed according to the label directions for potted plants. This is usually more like a teaspoon per gallon (probably even weaker for this application). The tablespoon-per-gallon formula is for in-ground plants.

I agree it's probably not necessary, but I can also see how it would help speed things along. Like I said, I've rooted lots of things in plain water.

This post was edited by TheTradition on Thu, May 23, 13 at 21:16

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tradition, thanks for the help. So do you think the seller soaked the brugs in solution for a short time but not long enough to develop roots? I don't mean to be disrespectful at all but want to know legitimately - are you just guessing or have you read about soaking cuttings in Miracle Gro? You talked about rooting brugs in plain water which I also have done plenty of times. I searched the web but couldn't find any info on soaking cuttings in a "Miracle Gro solution". Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. It is appreciated!

Carol

• foreverlad
    10 years ago

That's an interesting dilemma, Carol. If I received cuttings like that, personally, I would have tossed them (and asked for money back). Brugs cuttings seem a bit like Plumeria. Some say Plumeria cuttings can last for years, but once you see wilt in the 'bark' (for lack of a better term) it's best to toss it.

Sometimes, when you try to root a hardwood cutting, it dies, but the outer skin remains tough. When the outer skin or bark goes soft like that, I don't think any sort of resuscitation would mend it.

Mike

• thetradition
    10 years ago

No, just guessing. Never actually heard of anyone doing this, but if you think about it, why wouldn't it be helpful to have some nutrients in what is basically a hydroponic rooting solution? Might mix some RootTone in there, too for good measure. In any case, it's making me think of doing some science fair-style experiments....

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tradition, I am not sure so that is why I posted the question. Frequently, fertilization of new plants, adjusting plants, or plants with no roots is specifically not recommended.

Mike, after some run-around from the seller including her disputing the condition of the cuttings despite photos, my offering to drive up to her home just north of Jacksonville for a replacement, my subsequent offer to meet her in the parking lot of a local mall, and none of that working out due to horrible communication, I was finally given a refund by eBay. It was the first time I have ever left negative feedback for an eBay Seller.

Carol

• thetradition
    10 years ago

The recommendation for no fertilizer at the time of planting is usually due to two things: people overdo it and burn the roots; or it's helpful to get the roots "searching" for nutrients so that they'll grow out and get well established.

A weak solution of blue water won't cause the problems with the first reason, and for reason number two, you're not establishing the root system while it's soaking... you're simply getting the root system started.

Blue water is often used for foliar feeding. It won't burn foliage. And if there are no roots, you're not going to burn them.

But again, I'm just speculating. It doesn't sound like a bad idea, to me. I'll do some trials and see what happens.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tradition, I will be so interested to see what you find out. Please post an update if you do carry out experiments.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

I will say this for the blue water approach as I have tried it with my Alternanthera cuttings (not that they need it):

The blue stuff grows algae faster than regular rain water. And while the Alternanthera will root just fine in regular rain water, the ones that I tried the MG solution with (at 1/2 tsp per gallon) put out new growth faster, which, until the roots get good and going isn't really a good thing. I ended up pinching off the old growth and letting the new growth take nutrients while the roots formed.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Haven't been able to post with all the holiday activities, but on Saturday morning I was listening to the Garden Rebel radio show and he was describing how to air-layer crotons. He said that after they took root and were cut from the parent plant, he soaked them in in a mixture (didn't catch the proportions) of Miracle-Gro, Black Kow and epsom salts for 24 hours before potting them up or putting them in the ground.

• Kelley Kirby
    3 years ago

Thank u.im totally in love with ANGEL TRUMPETS! To me there's nothing more beautiful