Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columbines

Posted by poolia 8b (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 20:00

Getting ready to move to the LakeCity, FL area from KY. Been a hard core gardnener for 30+ years - cottage style. I plan to move with me the plants that will do well in my new zone. One that seems iffy is my columbines - one of my favorite plants. Apparently they just go to zone 8. Does anyone have luck growing them in my new zone? I can't determine if they must have a cool period or if they can't stand the summer heat. Here they bloom in early May and we get 90 degrees July and August and they do fine in partial shade - no mid day sun. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columbines

Unfortunately, they don't do well in our zone - they require 900+ chill hours to come back from dormancy and we only get 700. I miss growing them, too!

o

Please don't give up on your columbines. I have grown mine in pots here 20 miles west of Daytona for over 5 years. I have not tried to have them in the ground yet..I trim them back and they are lovely every year. I have shared many, and they are doing well also.

o

Columbines planted in the ground will not get enough 'chill hours' down to the root zone as the cold does not penetrate very far into the soil, but planted in pots they most often will get the required chill hours to the root zone and do just fine. Growing plants in Florida is a challenge and you must use your ingenuity to fool mother nature. If there's a will, there's a way, you just have to discover what will work for the specific plant.

Lou

o

Thank you for your replies. I sort of thought about the pot method. Thanks for letting me know it may work

o

I found a "double winky" columbine and brought it home a few weeks ago. It was a sad clearance plant, but I cut it back some and it's blooming again. I have put it in an area that gets morning sun and then a deep shade because I was afraid the summer heat will be too much for it. I didn't have too much hope for it when I got it, but I had to try.

If it survives the summer, I'll be sure to [try to remember to] put it in a pot for the winter to try to get it to come back next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here