Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to re-pot blueberries?

Posted by m5allen 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 21:05

This is my first time posting on this forum.

I have a couple different varieties of southern highbush blueberries. Right now, they are in 3 gallon black plastic nursery pots. I bought some 15" terra cotta pots and want to transplant them.

Most of what I have read says to transplant in the winter when they are dormant. Is this correct? I figured they would do best when they are in active growth mode, when we are getting the summer rains.

Should I transplant now, wait until the summer rains come, or wait until winter. I really don't want to wait until winter because I want to get some good growth out of them. But I am a bit afraid of the stress of re-potting in the summer sun. But I guess I could put them in the shade for a couple of days after the transplant.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to re-pot blueberries?

You can transplant them now. Just make sure you keep them moist and I would let them have only morning sun for a few days.

o

Thanks bamboo, it seems that you are the resident expert on the berries.

What do you think about this�I would prefer to re-pot now, but you know May is a tough month in FL because it is hot but we don�t yet get the summer rains. I am nervous about using my well water to keep the re-potted plants moist. I just had my well water tested and it came out to a PH reading of about 6, which isn�t too bad I guess, but still not ideal for blueberries. I have been putting some vinegar in the well water, but I don�t have a PH test kit at home, so I don�t know what affect the vinegar is having on the well water.

Do you think it would be better to wait about a month when the plants will hopefully be getting watered with rainwater?

o

Wow PH 6 I am green with envy. I would not worry about potting them now at all. I still have 3 1 gallon potted plants I am holding to replace two gulf coast blueberries when they get done fruiting. I have been watering them daily with my PH 7+ water and they are fine. Sooner you get those plants in the new pots the faster they will take off. Adding a little vinegar to the water would be fine or give them your leftover coffee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here