Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fab petunia

Posted by thonotorose FL 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 23:18

Photobucket

This petunia cost about $5 in a small gallon pot. It is called Silver something and I got it at Kerby's in Brandon last fall. Last year, at another Nursery, (Marge's on Fowler in Thonotosassa) I got a pink one for $3.

These have both been stupendous plants and they last until June! The clump is about 4 X 4. All that from one plant. Next year I will be getting at least two of both.

They do not set seeds and I have not tried to root them. I don't know if they are patented.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fab petunia

Is that the same thing they call million bells?

o

I think it's probably Supertunia Vista Silverberry. I saw it growing in a display garden earlier this year. It had apparently been in place for some time because, like your plant,it was very large and weaving its way among some evergreens - quite eye catching!

There's also Vista Bubblegum, a pink, and probably the other one you bought.

You mentioned that your plants lasted until June. Is it correct to assume that they pooped out in the heat and humidity of summer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vista Silverberry

o

Your garden looks gorgeous! Love the petunia.

Something is eating my petunias. I thought it was rabbits but I have a pot of black petunias on an outdoor table in an urn and those were eaten last night too. I don't think a rabbit could get up there. :(

o

Juneroses, you're right. Supertunias!
Last year's pink was just as big and I cut it way back around the early part of June. It did collapse and die so I assume it was from the heat. I thought I would pull this one's pot into a morning sun only area and see how it does.

Thank you, Tina. The roses are really maturing and I am really getting more knowledgeable about where and how to plant them.

I think you might be having squirrel problems., They eat my daylilies and I've seen them scurrying around with caladium leaves, too. Might be because it is so dry. One was in the birdbath today and drank for a long time.

o

It's so weird though. I've planted Petunias in the same spot for years and nothing's ever bothered them. You're right, it has been very dry and I don't have a birdbath in that garden. Maybe I'll put one there and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm getting better with placement of roses too and trying to add as many flowering perennials this year as I can.....more butterfly plants too...

o

It's so weird though. I've planted Petunias in the same spot for years and nothing's ever bothered them. You're right, it has been very dry and I don't have a birdbath in that garden. Maybe I'll put one there and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm getting better with placement of roses too and trying to add as many flowering perennials this year as I can.....more butterfly plants too...

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 18:04

Very pretty V, your garden looks great!

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here