Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Update photos of garden

My veggie garden is located near the street in plain sight of the road. I was walking to the garden to pick some veggies to grill and as I approached the garden I saw a motorcycle going very slowly down the road. The lady passenger was pointing and saying to her husband "I saw that garden on the internet". I waved and said "on GardenWeb, right"? She remember seeing the thread that I posted about My Garden Got Bigger.

We talked gardening for a while. Our soon to be new GWer's user name is expected to be Wii-queen(?). The couple lives in Osteen. They suggested that I take some pictures before cutting my harvest. So, I did.

Fat'n Sassy bell peppers did very well again this year:

Banana peppers always do well and are so prolific:

Cabernet tomatoes are my favorite general purpose tomato. They usually produce 16-18 good sized fruits. The taste is very good too. These plants had lots of health leaves a week ago before the heavy rains:

I have a small malabar spinach plant growing on a black metal tower in the center of the picture at the west end of my veggie garden:

I mix ornamentals in with edibles in the last 10 feet of the veggie garden. The dark purple plants are redbor kale which I do eat. The last picture is a center angle. This is an angle looking from left to right:

And, this is from right looking left:

Silvia, the plants on the right front are what you called ground cherries and I did stake them as you suggested. I found a bloom in there tonight. Looking forward to seeing some fruit forming.

Christine

Comments (14)

• countrynest
    14 years ago

Christine,just beautiful. a great harvest.
    You said grilling? I love banana peppers on the grill
    Enjoy and congratulation
    Felix

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Wow quite a spectacular garden!

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

I 2nd Golden Pond.... Wow indeed!
    Thanks for Sharing
    NC

• wanda662
    14 years ago

What a beautiful garden and nice peppers and maters.
    Thanks for sharing your garden.

• featherhoof
    14 years ago

That is soooooo cool that a random person driving by would recognise the garden from a photo.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Amazing! Beautiful!
    I love the way you mix ornamentals in with edibles.
    I would be so proud if this were my garden!

Kate

• manature
    14 years ago

Christine, it looks fantastic!!! So cottagey with the veggies and flowers together. I love the patch of stokesia...looks great!!

My huge, big canna that you gave me is getting really tall, and has put out lots of new leaves and several new sprouts are coming up, too. It's going to be fantastic. It is one of the things that really LOVED the 16+ inches of rain we've gotten. Every time I look at it, I think of you, and now I will also be thinking of your fantastic garden.

Congratulations on being recognized as a Garden Celebrity! That must have felt really good!

Marcia

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Love it,love it! An amazing garden that is both beautiful and tasty. It must be a pleasure to work there. Do I spy a dragonfruit on a pole?

Kristi
    "who was happy to meet you at the Deland swap and would be coming over for stuffed peppers if you weren't so far away"

• soil_sister
    14 years ago

Christine,

Well, I was pretty proud of my peppers and tomatoes until I saw yours!(smiling) You've got the touch, girl. As always, your garden is beautiful and delicious.

Is it too late to start malabar spinach and what exactly is a ground cherry?

Char

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Christine

Nice looking garden and harvest!

My ground cherries look the same as yours, it was good that we staked them before the rains. The fruit is ready when it falls to the ground. It will keep well for quite a long time after is ripe.

I am waiting for the fruit to ripen, they are perennial and will reseed themselves, if not save some seeds for another time if you like the flavor.

They can be eaten raw, in a pie or preserves.

Silvia

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Just amazing, I'm speechless....

:-)

• wiigodess
    14 years ago

Christine,
    It was great to meet you again. Your garden is much more impressive in person than in the pictures. I can not believe I recognized your garden driving down the street. I am looking forward to being a part of the gardening community here. Thanks again for all of the goodies. I may e-mail you for assistance getting them planted.
    Joan
    p.s. I changed my e-mail here it should be wiigodess now.

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Felix--- Yeah, I said grilling! I can't get enough of grilled veggies. Not just banana peppers, but the bells along with the summer squash and zucchini...mmmm

Thank you Goldenpond.

ninecrow---Thank you too. I saw that your post was at 3:33, then I remembered that you are located in England. I've been to England once, long ago. It is certainly very different from here. This is about the time you would be planting your gardens, right?

wanda---Thanks. I enjoyed sharing. I hope to be an inspiration to others.

Miranda (featherhoof)---And I forgot to mention that we live on a dead end road. wiiqueen should be posting soon.

Kate---I am so proud and pleased. I initially planted mostly flowers at that end of the garden because it was getting too much shade. But this year my husband cut down several trees which gives that area much more sun and they are responding nicely.

Marcia---Many of my cannas are in full bloom now. Yes, they did like all of this rain. Early in the spring the stokesia looked out of place and I almost moved it. So glad I didn't because it looks like it belongs in there now. The trilobe black eyed susans you gave me are growing nicely. I will be thinking of you too when it starts to bloom.

Kristi---You spy 3 dragon fruit plants. Three different kinds. The plants are old enough to produce fruit now so I am hoping for fruit this year. When they bloom I will post the flowers. Stuffed peppers will be on the menu later in the week. I'm still trying to eat up all the zucchini and summer squash before it get too old.

soil_sister---Charlene! I just read your email that said you are soil_sister. Welcome to GardenWeb. It's not too late for malabar spinach. If you want some cuttings, I can share. The ground cherry seeds came from Silvia so pay attention to what she has to say about them. I am growing them not knowing what to expect. I have a couple of ground cherry seedlings that are in too much shade. I can pot them up for you if you want to try them.

Silvia---I'm looking forward to trying the ground cherries. I'm getting impatient! Can't wait to see yours.

Hi Tom---Your garden may have disappointed you this spring, but I still want you to know that you have been a great inspiration to me.

Christine

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops! Wiigodess--We were posting at the same time. I did get you user name wrong: wiigodess, not wiiqueen. My husband asked me what kind of motorcycle your husband has. I told him that I forgot to look at your bike! We got so involved with talking plants. You can email me anytime.

Christine

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz