Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Tiny Bugs in Kitchen

jane__ny
11 years ago

What are these? They are running around my kitchen counter and up the back splash. They are so small, we couldn't tell if they were some sort of ant. We had to take photo and blow it up to see. I can't seem to get the photo to appear enlarged on this forum.

They seem to hang out near the faucet. We tried Borax but they run over it. They don't seem interested in food (so far).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jane

Comments (95)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bea, I can't believe its still running after 8 yrs. We had just moved to Florida and were staying at a family members condo.

Now we have our own house and I've run into ants of all sorts, inside and out. I'm getting used to Florida bugs now!

Jane

• fran2766
    3 years ago

I'm so glad that I discovered this thread. I've been having the same problem with these teeny bugs for several summers. So far, nothing I've tried - washing the counter with vinegar, placing ant traps, cursing, pleading - has helped, but you all have given me some more ideas. Thanks.

• Tony Rodriguez
    3 years ago

So I’m just going to chime in since this seems to be the most popular feed on the planet .. I have some in Maryland, in my kitchen and respectively by the sliding door which leads to the deck which I am learning after just buying the house has water issues under the deck up against the house .. if it helps, the soil where I live is primarily sand and in that area, moist. I also recently had a place in south Florida which I saw these EXACT bugs .. they look like pieces of sand moving around .. not built like an ant but smaller than an ant .. hoping I can get rid of them .. I plan on sealing our crawl space, removing the deck and putting pavers or a concrete slab going right up against the house .. wish me luck and I’ll be back soon!

• Mira Patel
    3 years ago

If anyone has a solution, please post. Thank you!

• snickerdoodle97
    3 years ago

I just moved to Fl and have these everywhere. When I try to google they are all close up pics and you can’t really tell what they are. But I found a far away pic of a Ghost Ant and might be them. These ant things are so tiny in my house that they are to identify on google, but the pics you guys are posting are what are in my house.

• irma_stpete_10a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This works overnight for me with house ants: "Amdro Fire Ant Bait" which kills also "imported and native and other ants".

It is tiny granules. I put a tablespoonful in the corner by my sliding kitchen door where they enter (in lines to the cat food dish), and within hours they are carrying the granules away to their nest to feed (and kill) the queen. A couple of days of this and they don't return for weeks or months (depending on the weather).

For ants on my kitchen counter or stove, I drop the granules down the gap between stove and counter (maybe better installed stoves don't have this gap on each side?). I also put a few granules on top to watch and make sure that type ant is attracted and will cart them away.

jane__ny thanked irma_stpete_10a
  • BM Whelan
    3 years ago

I am having problems with these tiny bugs for the past 2 weeks. I keep my kitchen clean so they are not able to eat food.
    I have started using Raid Ant & Roach spray.
    I did get some pics and sent to our big man. He said they are Ghost Ants! He will be here in 3 days to eliminate them.

• BM Whelan
    3 years ago

I forgot to post pics

• BM Whelan
    3 years ago

The Bug Man came - they are GHOST ANTS.

Advion Ant Bait Gel is what he used. They take the bait back to their nests and they die .

• Mary W 9b
    3 years ago

We had ghost ants 2 weeks ago. I bought some terro liquid ant bait traps and the ants were gone in about 3 days. They were in the cabinet above the stove where I had 2 jars of peanut butter. The jars had been open so the inner seal was removed. But the lids were on TIGHT. The darn ghost ants were so tiny they somehow got into the peanut butter even though the lids were on. They don't sting but they do bite and boy does it itch!

• Hodgeabm
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mira and Juana I have the exact same issue as you. Did you ever find a solution?

orkin says theyre silverfish and they used a dust inside my outlets but they don’t look like silverfish to me.

• Mira Patel
    3 years ago

i taped my windows up as we saw few coming in through the windows in the evening and washed my sliding throughly. Then the weather also got cooler and they stopped. So not sure if it was the sliding or weather. From all the pics I looked up, it looks closest to a springtail. I’m hoping that they don’t come back otherwise I’m back in this message board asking the same questions lol Hope this helps

• Hodgeabm
    3 years ago

Thanks so much Mira. We live in house that was built 2019 and upon noticing them we found that our windows weren’t sealed all around so we caulked every window even the base boards. I’ve resulted to dusting my kitchen counter with diatemacious earth. My husband is so annoyed and I am so mentally exhausted from trying to fight them. Seems like the DE is resulting in a bunch of dead ones I have yet to see any alive, but I’m terrified that the moment I vacuum up the dust I’m going to be seeing them again. Orkin initially said their dust is slow acting but im hoping they will have another option for me when they come out for my next treatment this Friday.

• Mira Patel
    3 years ago

Good luck! Trying power washing your sliding outside. Hopefully all works out for you!

• HU-496138114
    3 years ago

I have the same problem in my kitchen by my sink and bathroom is where they started now they are on my table and even in my room crawling on my bed I tried the hotel ant traps and they don't work. I heard cream of tarter is supposed to do something so I bought that and some raid ant gel, let's see how it goes.

• HU-496138114
    3 years ago

I have the same problem in my kitchen by my sink and bathroom is where they started now they are on my table and even in my room crawling on my bed I tried the hotel ant traps and they don't work. I heard cream of tarter is supposed to do something so I bought that and some raid ant gel, let's see how it goes.

• Mira Patel
    3 years ago

Try baking soda and vinegar in the sink and bathroom drain overnight and tape up the drain. next day take the tape off and put hot water to clean it. Or have your drains cleaned out. Just a thought.

• HU-496138114
    3 years ago

Thank you I will try

• Mary Rubio
    3 years ago

I have something very similar-it looks like there are specs of pepper on my kitchen counter. The difference is that there are not a bunch of them gathered together and they are not moving. I have to take a photo with my cell phone magnify it and then enlarge it to see that it is some thing that is alive. I still can’t quite make out what it is but I know for certain that it is not an ant. They do not look like any familiar insect. Any ideas? Here is a photo.

• Shaun Davis
    3 years ago

I don't see any physical attributes of any insect on your finger in that pic. Being that none of them are moving, is that potentially feces of another infestation?

• BM Whelan
    3 years ago

These are called “Ghost Ants”! I had them in my kitchen in August /September.
    They are coming from outside and have a nest. Our bug man treated them with Advion . He only treated them inside my home initially.
    I kept sending my bug man messages that they were not going away. He said give them time and I kept on putting out the Advion and they ate it up.
    The problem - they had a huge nest outside.
    Once we located it - the bug man came out and sprayed. It took about 1 week before they were totally gone.
    I live in Montgomery Texas and we use Bugtime Pest Control in Humble Texas.
    Good Luck
    PS - do a Google search for Ghost Ants

• HU-585838087
    3 years ago

Have you used any conventional fertilizers on your plants? you should add worms to your plants, their poo is known to combat bugs, https://foothillsierragarden.com/collections/all

• sandra reybitz
    3 years ago

I am a snowbird to FL for the past 8-9 yrs, 1st as a camper but now as a condo dweller. About 3 weeks ago, I 'discovered' these eensty-teensty bugs that look like moving coffee grounds, never more than 6-12 at a time. I saw them first in my bathroom sink and on the countertop, then on my kitchen counter, and then in the middle of my living room floor. Initially I thought they were some type of dwarf ant but could not find anything online that looked like my little guys, until today. Jane and Darrah's pics look exactly like what I was encountering. Ant traps were totally ineffective and ant spray only worked short term, and they kept returning. Decided to try an ant gel. A bit more pricey, but worth every penny (Combat Max on Amazon - $5.99). Wallah! Since applying the gel about 6 days ago in little dabs on places where I saw them, I have since only seen a total of 3. However, I need to forewarn anyone who tries this type of product to be prepared to find the gel dabs engulfed with these creatures within a few hours. Hundreds! I was mortified to say the least. As difficult as it was, I resisted the urge to wipe them all up as I knew they needed to return to their colonies and feed the bait to larvae and queens so that the entire colony is killed. I have purchased another tube so that I will be ready for them if any survived and decide to return. Good luck!

• Anne Ann
    2 years ago

Darrah Rachman, those look like either concrete mites, clover mites or spider mites. If you have house plants then I would say spider mites. I have them too but I don't have any house plants. Just moved into a house that has ceramic counter tops and I keep seeing them so I think they could be concrete mites as we have them outside on our croncrete patio. I'm wondering if they like the grout in the kitchen.

• David Taylor
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Fast moving bugs can't identify because they are so small I put some terro down and when they stop to feed I was able to get a picture and was surprised to see what they were ghost ants when I took pictures while they were moving I couldn't tell what they were but they are ghost ants and terro

works well one drop let them feed and they'll disappear.

• David Taylor
    2 years ago

When moving this is what I could

see

jane__ny thanked David Taylor
  • Michelle Huber
    2 years ago

I believe the original post image is what's called Springtail. Some of the other comments are different insects, but the original post looks and sounds like Springtail to me. I don't know how to get rid of them but Google search and you can learn more.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    2 years ago

Contact Truly Nolen.

• Charlie Harrison
    2 years ago

I have been in maintenance for apartments. some of you are posting bed bugs. but most of you are posting springtails. if you're in Arizona, it's most definitely springtails. they eat the poop and garbage disposal food in a drain.

I'm betting that many if not most of you have garbage disposals if you're seeing them on the counter where the sink is but not on counters that have no water ..they come up in a drain. they survive the traps of tubs, and sinks.

there is a product called hot spot, on amazon. it supposed to eat away all the poop in the drain and takes away the food source. the only way to stop them.

if you have had a lot of rain more than normal, then that aint helping.

if your city sprays the sewer for sewer roaches, that doesn't help either. they run and your house is where they go. sewer roaches can't get away in time and die, thankfully. id rather the springtails than friggin sewer roaches I am in arizona.

by the way, you can thank your friendly neighborhood home depot or lowes for infecting your home too. you see they nest in mulch. if you get plants from home depot, buy dirt in a bag, and throw away, shake off, whatever all that corporation provided dirt. I sometimes wonder where home depot gets their dirt for plants from and is it a haven for critter larvey

• Hodgeabm
    2 years ago

Charlie what about counters with no sinks? the only place i can think the springtails come in (and orkin confirmed springtails) is the outlets of my backsplash above the stove the other side of that wall is the garage so maybe they somehow get into my walls and come through the outlets? its been a year and activity has slowed way down (orkin treated the inside of my walls with delta dust, i treated with cimexa) but i recently saw one live one

• Trey Golden
    2 years ago

Springtails or snow fleas.

• Amada Torres
    last year

I’ m new here and I needed heelp in identifying a bug. Would anyone know? Thanks! They appear in the countertops, inside cabinets , in the living room floor.

• David Taylor
    last year

They are ghost ants Lowe's sales it's called p r o t e r r o and you put a drop-down and they will feed on it and they go back to their home and die work great at my house

• Amada Torres
    last year

Thanks I will try that.

• Amada Torres
    last year

They really don’t look like ghost ants. they have a skinny mouth and looks like wings.

• Lisa Evans
    last year

I have these in my cabinets abd drawers in kitchen and bathrooms in the house I just moved into they look like little tiny fast moving lines but coffee grounds when dead and rolled up. Any solutions. I srayed hime defense and laid new paper getting ready to do vinegar and water wash just do not know what else to do.

• HU-174732414
    last year

First move your dishes, etc., out of the cabinets and drawers; then spray them (the cabinets & drawers, not the dishes, etc.) with a Raid spray that says it has residual action so the little pests take it home to their nest, where it can before too long, kill them all, even the queen. Might need to spray more than one time, but it will get the job done.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

@ Lisa - if they're traveling in lines, it's likely to be very tiny ants. I use these:

And this works best if you can find their entry points and spray those. It seems to have a long residual life that kills any ants walking across it:

You still don't want it on foods or anything you might consume food off of.

• Laup Reggy
    last year
    last modified: last year

Here's my two cents. Idk what it is but like everyone else it's around the sink window/sink and counter top. Sometime I won't see one for weeks then other time like everyday. I have noticed they like white such as white paper towel or white note pads. I've lived in this house for 20 yrs and never had this problem. Not sure but I received a small box from Amazon and I opened it on the counter top(not a smart move) and as I pulled whatever I had ordered out of the box I noticed small spots in the box moving so realizing they were some sort of insect I tossed the box in the garbage but when I picked it up some had gotten out of the box and spread out. I killed what I could and called Amazon and they like said "Duh" so anyway I'm not sure if that's how I got them or are they coming in my sink window. Here's a photo......wish the cell phone took better close up. HELP

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Laup, your pic did not get included in your post. Try again?

• Laup Reggy
    last year

thanks....just posted the photo:)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

I can see the pic but not enough detail to guess at an ID of your bug.

• Laup Reggy
    last year

Yeah same here. They are so small.

• K Didi
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Buy Home Defense. You can use inside your home & outside perimeter. It kills almost EVERYTHING! We live in Florida and I worked at Lowe's for awhile & learned all about how $7.99 saves us a lot of headache. You can simply spray in corner rooms or along the baseboards and you might see an increase as you disturb them & they disappear. This works for palmetto bugs, spiders, mites, ants, (although for ants I prefer Terro because it attracts the abyss they drink it go back to the nest and kills the entire nest. They also carry it in gallon jugs & refill bottles. You can get it at any store like Walmart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot etc.

• Lyndy Braboy
    11 months ago

Thank you I bought a house as is my goodness I must got every bug that could possibly be in this house in this house just from identification there were bed bugs got rid of them something was still biting me come to find out there a couple different types of mites thrips ghost ants fleas book lif pubic mould bugsb carpet beetles springtails um like shoot is there anything left

• Joelle Rodriguez
    9 months ago

So I've read many of these comments. Not one person said when you kill one it leaves a black line on the counter like a dust! Or at least mine do lol only came onto my cloth dish drainer when its wet and time to wash it! Now they are coming almost immediately with a new dry one? Only in the kitchen by the sink and yes I have a garbage disposal! 🤨 please help

• HU-351825435
    9 months ago

The tiny bugs in my new construction are on every single window on the first floor. I taped brown kraft paper to cover the windows and there were hundreds stuck on the tape residue on the window frames. I’ve cleaned all of that up but still see some in the kitchen on the white quartz counter … and i discovered that they jump a few inches like a flea, but they're definitely not flat like fleas…they’re just tiny nuisnces!

• sherryblonde
    9 months ago

Has anyone found sonething safe to kill soringtails? after reading these comments , i think that is what we may have 😫

I brought a basil plant inside when we moved into our condo and I think it may have started the problem. I had it sitting on the kitchen island. i see only a few at night on the counters. very tiny. we do have a dog so I’d like to make sure its safe… unless I can use it on the counter where she wont get to it. I am in Arizona. And I’ve since removed the basil plant out of our home.

• HU-440563309
    9 hours ago

I have thre same problem. Did you get any ideas on how to get rid off them thsmks