Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

VERY shaded pot.

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
Need some suggestions for this It's a 30 gallon filled with mostly other pots and rocks right now lol It functions as a hose guide at the corner of the central bed
When I say shaded I mean SHADED lol Has 3 trees overhead and the epiphytes are filling in causing even more shade.lol
Was thinking maybe Whitfedia elongata "white candles" or maybe an understory palm?? Would prefer a flowering that can hold up to winter?? Thanks gary

Comments (10)

• trini1trini
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest the Whitfeldia but u already mention that. That blooms a lot in shady. The Chaemadoreas do well. C Metallica is beautiful and C fragrams is fragrant. Also Lady Palm.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Cast iron plant, wild coffee, Nun's Orchids

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Lots of choices for understory palms was hoping for a shrub type with white flowers since it's such a large pot
    morning Think it might be a bit too dark for Nuns. my phals have dropped off considerably and they are half up in the canopy. Suspect i would get good growth but no flowers lol Another that I'm considering is one of the bat plants the white should get large enough to be impressive
    and there are no more spectacular flowers lol There are about a gazillion aroids that should do well BUT are winter sensitive of course and flowers are butt ugly lol
    Another thing i'm considering is an epiphyte "tree" I have a great piece of driftwood. just maybe my new guinea shingle plant might be happy there along with some low light broms and orchids , maybe some gesneriads ??
    thanks for the suggestions gary

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

How about something with a variegated leaf to add in the white color? I know that there is a type of fern that has silvery leaves but I'm drawing a blank as to it's name. I have a patch of variegated flax lily that's growing a the base of my large oak out back that seems to be doing well and it's been there 2-3 years now without any special care or protection from the cold. I really can't think of anything large that would give you the color you're looking for.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Gary, I would love to see your yard one day. I know you have a super-green thumb. Question about the Nun's Orchid: I thought it was a shade-only plant. Does it need some sun in order to bloom?

I would have suggested Amazon Lilies but I know you already have a slew of them. How about a big Peace Lily - do you already have one of those? I know they bloom profusely when in a happy shady environment.

Another option for white flowering plant in shade: White Butterfly Ginger? Would that be something you might like?

Carol in Jacksonville

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

karalynn
    Are you speaking of the Brazilian ghost fern??, fantastic!!
    Where can i find one without mortgaging the house?? lol
    LOVE ferns ,have around 25 species but MUST limit the "tree"types due to space lol have a cute little Elephant fern looking innocent in a 6 inch pot but understand it can get 25 foot fronds and it's not even a "tree"lol Have recently moved most of the ferns into a site of their own and it's already overcrowded lol
    carol Wish that were true lol i tend to impulse buy have no sense of landscape and worse tend to be a "zone stretcher" The hurricanes completely decimated what little plan i had then got sick lol lost a ton of plants but appears that I'm not going to croak at least for a week trying to organize a "layered tropical ornamental garden" geared to landsacpe rather than collections lol Also with a LOT less maintenence. I have cut my pots almost in half
    and have made great progress in organizing BUT along way to go!! lol
    Nuns orchids IME t if too dark they tended to grow well but flowered less. Much better luck with water culture in clay sand media in half sun.. this did not work with "Flava x tank hybrids lol
    Have 6 kinds of "peace lily' growing in several methods.
    grow 25 kinds of ginger 4 kinds of "butterfly" i water culture them in the shady marsh garden. along with WAY too many other species lol
    thanks everybody for the suggestions!! gary

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with the brazilian ghost fern. After some research what I was picturing was something more like the japanese painted fern. I love ferns too and wish I could grow some type of tree fern but unsure if one would survive in my yard through a hard winter. Maybe one year I'll take the risk and plant one anyway! Your elephant fern sounds like it is going to be truly impressive when it grows up!

• User
    10 years ago

leopard plant. huge yellow blooms in the fall, total shade and moisture.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

karalynn
    You might try the Australian types of tree ferns . i find them much more tolerant of cold than heat. i keep all my ferns in pots including the "trees" because my soil is crummy and sooner or later find they get in the way Also my main source of shade is a deciduous tree lol.Check out the genus Blechnum (spelling) some of these grow large even some florida natives
    Willisadi Will check that out.. appears to stay rather short?? have also been checking into the Begonia and gesneriad families begonia nelumbafolia looks like it might be ideal impressive foliage for sure
    Think i might have seen some in pics of Annas garden??
    Was going to put a Snowflake tree there . Managed to find a variagated form but it croaked lol
    Thanks again gary

• User
    10 years ago

Forgot one thing........cold hardy! Two foot tall.