Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panhandle_seed_swap

EVENT: Florida Panhandle Seed Swap

Florida Panhandle Seed Swap... please find us on facebook and click âÂÂLikeâÂÂ!

Please mark your calendars now, for our post-harvest seed swap...

WHERE: Bay County Public Library, Panama City, Florida

WHEN: Sunday, September 8, 2013 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

ENTRY: Please bring a donation of seeds, plants, tubers, bulbs or other garden-related items for your fellow gardeners.

We'll check-in your garden donation(s) and place them in the right category, then you choose what seeds/garden items you want!

Comments (22)

• kayjones
    10 years ago

This sounds wonderful - I hope I'm still living here in Sept.!!!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope to see you there! Two months away now... I've already re-potted 10 plants from my garden, to take to this event.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Panhandle, I tried to email you throught 'my page' but you don't have your GW email set up. Please email me.

If you want to set up your email to receive email through GW, go to the bottom of any GW page and click on 'Member Pages', then you will be able to set it up.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kay! Email sent!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's about 3 weeks away now! Please tell your garden friends in the Florida Panhandle. Thank you!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh this is cool, the AL forum does a swap that's twice as far away from me. As long as the weather's not too bad for driving that day, I'm there. Would you mind explaining the details a bit more?

Don't really have any seeds but I can bring plants and bulbs/tubers...
    Hardy:
    Hibiscus macrophylla
    Tradescantia zebrina
    T. fluminensis
    Callisia fragrans
    Callisia repens
    sweet potato vine (Ipomoea batatas 'Margarita')
    Canna indica, plain green leaf, red flowers
    Lycoris radiata, red hurricane lily
    Syngonium
    Colocasia esculenta (elephant ears)
    Gladiolus (NOID/mixed colors)
    Talinum paniculatum
    Lantana camara
    Strobilanthes dyerianus (Persian shield)

Not hardy, house plant, though may be hardy in some locations of people who might attend:
    ZZ plant
    Sansevieria trifasciata
    T. spathacea
    Epipremnum (Pothos)
    heart-leaf Philodendron
    Boston ferns (survived last winter in ground, but that doesn't mean much)
    probably others in both categories... that's what comes to mind at the moment. Probably other stuff in Mom's yard I'm not thinking of. Are these plants that folks would be interested in? As a renter and recent transplant from OH, I don't have a lot of fancy stuff or perennials.

A lot of them will be cuttings in water (with multiple 'pieces' per container, to make a decent plant ASAP,) as they travel so easily that way, I propagate them often that way (either just for a few hours or overnight if necessary, or until I see roots starting to form for some,) and take up much less space.

Does anyone need any smallish empty plastic pots? I'd be happy to bring a stack, or a few stacks, if anyone needs some. If anyone happens to have any hanging-type pots, with or w/o the hanging thingie, I'd love to have more of those.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp... that sounds great! Cuttings are fine (especially if they sprout easy), but a potted plant would be best (even if you just bring a couple plants). Please bring plastic bags for them... the cleaner everything is the better, because it's in the Bay County Public Library's big meeting room. :)

Pretty please make some kind of label is on the each container stating exactly what they are and how to grow them.

The empty pots are very welcome. I even need those! You'll give your garden donations at the door and then pick-out whatever you can grow or use for your garden. I'll keep any eye-out for the hanging baskets. The facebook followers might have a couple, too.

Please tell me what your Alabama seed swap was like!!??

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Panhandle Seed Swap

10 years ago

Thanks, that helps a lot! I don't want to do anything wrong. I'll bring all of the empty pots I don't want. I also have a couple reference books for folks to look at while there (although that may be silly if it's in a library!)

The swaps I've been to in the past were in OH. (I've never been to the AL one 'cuz it's about 4 hours away.) We used a park shelter, had a potluck meal, then the swapping. For round one, everyone grabs one plant (or other gardening item.) Round two, each person grabs 2 plants. When folks have picked as many things as they brought, then it was a free-for-all for what's left. I never took much home but always had a blast meeting everyone and chatting about the plants.

This is kind of corny but we had those sticker name tags, put your GW nickname and real first name for those who have trouble learning that much info instantly.

Plastic storage tubs and milk crates are great for driving plants around w/o tipping over, if anyone's nervous about that. Putting each pot in a plastic bag (up to the top of the pot anyway,) sounds like a great idea. Doing it inside sets the bar pretty high for neatness. Not my forté but I can do that!

• jamesmaloy
    10 years ago

Wow I just happened on this and was really glad to see it. I am gonna try to make this. Opp if I make this I have some empty hanging baskets even some hangers. I just don't do them anymore. I have some gingers I can bring sure wish someone would have some different ones. Right now I also have two potted confederate rose, and a few other things I could spare will have to do a good look around. I too don't have seed or not that I could think of any way normally I remove seed heads but I'll keep an eye open for some I have time for some zinnias to seed.
    James Maloy

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone at the swap! Please remember to tell all your family and friends in the area. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Panhandle Seed Swap

• jamesmaloy
    10 years ago

Purple, I live in the Fl. panhandle and am going to the swap I am wondering If there are any plants in particular that you may be looking for. Right now I am planning on bringing , a few lace cap hydrangea, confederate rose, one wax myrtle, sago palms, also a potted cactus no id. 2 small var. jade. I have a huge assortment of bulbs.

I would definitely like some of the persian shield , I am bringing some empty hanging baskets for you, I don't know what the protocol for swapping is. but let me know if some of the items I listed would work for a swap. I have a white lycoris and also yellow/orange lycoris. I guess some of the plants will depend on how well I load the car. My niece is coming with me. I'll also have some seed. please let me know and don't be afraid to ask for something specific I may have it.
    James in Florida.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi James!

Just put the persons name (or screen name) on the item you're bringing for them. Any left-over items will be donated to the The St. Andrews Community Garden, Tyndall AFB Community Garden, Local Master Gardeners or saved for the next Florida Panhandle Seed Swap, if they end-up not coming. I probably have room in my garden, too!

I'll have your zinnia seeds, James. I'll be wearing a tag that says "Event Organizer". Thank you for bringing all those wonderful things for everyone's garden!

10 years ago

James, that rocks! Didn't see your first mention of the hanging baskets, thanks! The more of them I do, the more I prefer to have plants in them if they are small enough, they don't blow away! There's a few things I'd love to find on my exchange page, since you asked. Not really expecting to find anything in particular though, just sounds like fun. Those bulbs sound very cool.

Will make sure there's a Persian shield with your name on it! Glad you mentioned that, I've been preparing but my above list, I hadn't considered it "for sure," though most I mentioned should be coming along, a few not mentioned.

If anybody had their heart on something I mentioned, please let me know. It's so hot out there, waiting till a couple days before to dig up stuff that's in the ground, like Cannas (and will cut everything off, just bringing rhizomes. Large plain green leaves, flower pic below. Hummingbirds love them.) Not sure how thorough I'll end up being before I pre-pass-out, if you know what I mean, the Cannas are easy at least.

Thanks,
    Tiffany in Opp

10 years ago

Getting psyched about this, was getting stuff ready yesterday, and will finish today, obviously - LOL! Glad there's no hurricane, looks like it will be a beautiful day. Torn about wanting to go to the beach after but plants in a hot car... not a good idea. Anyway, I'll be there, can't wait to meet the others who can come!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I know you will have fun. Sadly/gladly I can't be there - I have my grandson this weekend and can't leave him by himself. Please post pictures!!!!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're all set! I'm thankful for the beautiful weather and great location. There's plenty of free parking, too.

10 years ago

Posted what I'm bringing here if anyone wants 2 check it out (instead of here cuz, as you can see, I pasted an HTML table from word, and it's kinda WIDE.) Saw the building on google earth, so I know what I'm looking for. Cool tool, that. Safe travels, all! Kay, you will be missed!

10 years ago

Well this was a blast! My only regret is that I didn't get there sooner, so missed meeting some of the people. Assuming they were anywhere near as friendly, enthusiastic, as the folks I did meet, that's a shame. As the last one to leave, it's believable when I say, I would have enjoyed yakking for a lot longer... yeah, I'm a talker, LOL!

James, thanks especially for the Cycads and confederate rose, really cool stuff! I have some questions for you, will shoot you a note later.

Also brought home what seems to be Neomarica and Billbergia, among other cool stuff (and of course, TONS of seeds!!)

I still have a few things left from my list, if anyone wants to do a mail trade, or receive for postage reimbursement, just send me a private note.

Well worth the 2+ hour drive, looking forward to the next one, tentatively aimed at national seed swap day in January. Count me in, and hopefully more gardenweb'ers too.
    - Tiffany

P.S. James, this is my true love, foliage plants in a hanging basket, thanks again for the awesome stack! Pictured below is a "normal one" but I've taken things to a new place this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: TV news story

10 years ago

James, your settings on GW prevent me from being able to send you a private note. Will you please send one to me, and type your email address in the note so I can respond? If you click on your name, then on mine, you will see that the "send me an email" link is missing from yours. That's fine to have it like that, just know that if you don't type your email address in the message when sending others a private note, they will know who sent it, but be unable to respond. I could have talked to you all day!

10 years ago

Big surprise, it's me again. Didn't have sweaty work in my mind when posting earlier, just the bliss of having fun and getting a few new plants. But just finished using the "CobraHead weeder and cultivator" (for today) that I won at this swap. I don't know who provided this, but it was an unexpected bonus! Especially after using it today, so I'm glad I didn't mention it earlier. Now I can speak about using it also. I planted some Lycoris and Crinum bulbs, and a few other things with it. For the small holes I tackled today, this was much easier than using a hand shovel, regarding not using a motion that aggravates my lower back pain. If anyone is considering this, or has seen it, or would now like to investigate this cool tool, I would recommend it. Didn't know I needed or wanted it until I used it, I have a shed full of various tools but I'm a huge, instant fan! Thanks again!

cobrahead.com

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Purpleinopp! CobraHead.com donated their tool for the raffle. It's made in the USA, too. :)

We MIGHT be having be having another swap on January 25, 2014 (National Seed Swap Dat). Please follow the Florida Panhandle Seed Swap's facebook page in order to find-out about more swaps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Panhandle Seed Swap On Facebook!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm