Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbee2009

Crype Myrtle in north central florida

bobbee2009
10 years ago

We were looking for a couple of shade trees for our front yard as we are having 2 large oaks removed. As most trees grow too large to be near the house, someone mentioned using a Nathez or Arapaho crype myrtle.

I always though that they were more of bush, can they be grown in a tree shape, 20' - 25'. (Walk under)
I keep reading about the bloom time, but am interested in how long they go with out any leaves, i.e. bare
Is there any difference between the multi trunk versus the single other than appearance ?

Comments (13)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Some varieties take a tree form, some stay smaller. Queen's Crepe Myrtle is especially large. They will all try to make multiple trunks, but you can force a single with dedicated pruning.

My varieties (which are unknown to me, they were here when I moved here are only about 10 - 12 feet high). They're bare from about November to April.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

My parents have 3 large crape myrtle trees, one white and 2 lavender that are at least 25 feet tall and provide a lot of shade along the back of their house. The trees have very large trunks that I think started out as multiple trunks that over time blended into single trunks. I also have a large tree crape myrtle, dark pink in color, thats about 20 feet and has multiple trunks. Mine doesn't have as big a canopy as my parents 3 do but then mine hasn't had an irrigated and fertilized flower bed around it as long as my parents trees have.

Kara

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Crape myrtles make a wonderful small tree. See the two links below for really good lists of the varieties by size and color.

Natchez (white) and Muskogee (lavender) are among the very tallest - 20-25' at maturity).

Pay close attention to shape. I did not, when I purchased mine, and wish I had. On some varieties where it says "upright", it really means it. On those varieties, the branches will not provide much canopy as even the branches grow mostly vertical. I have six Miami crape myrtles that I love very much, but they really do not provide as much shade as I had hoped because there is not much spread in the branches.

Good luck on your purchase. Crape myrtle are very easy to grow.

Crape Myrtles for Texas (also for Florida!):
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/databases/crapemyrtle/

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Crapemyrtle in Florida

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

We have several crepe myrtles (here when we moved in, so no idea of variety).

I love them, even with the "bare stick" look, because they provide shade in the summer, when you want it, and sunlight in the winter, when you want it.

• bobbee2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I buy a Natchez, (non upright), it seems that a 9' or 10' is about the largest we can get) about how long does it take to get that small tree effect ?

I have given up on finding a small fast growing shade tree ( 20-30') and was hoping that the crype myrtle would accomplish the same thing.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

With crape mytles the more water they get the faster they will grow, particularly when they are first planted. Enriching the soil when you plant them will also give them a boost. Once a crape myrtle is established they should grow very fast. My parents bought their big crapes years ago from a local tree nursery and got the biggest ones that they could fit in the back of their full sized truck. I believe that theirs are the Natchez and Muskogee. The Natchez is my favorite due to the way when it sheds it's bark the under back is reddish in color.

• bobbee2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planted 2 30gal natchez crape myrtles in early June.
    One or two branches on one side are now sticking out around 2 feet from the main group.

Should I snip them to be in keeping with the main group ?

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture?

• bobbee2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The left side

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

I think I see them. I would trim them off. As the tree matures those low branches will likely get in the way when you work around the tree. Are both of the trees you planted in the picture? If so how close together are they?

• bobbee2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are about 30+ feet apart.

• bobbee2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the 2 natchez crype's are growing.

Eventually I want a shade tree type of look.
    So should I be pruning them, cutting back any branches sticking way out?
    If I prune in the middle will it grow thicker ?

• Skyway Gardens
    10 years ago

Hi,
    On my trees, I prune out any branches that grow towards the center of the tree. I also don't prune branches that are larger in diameter than my index finger (abt 1/2") to avoid the dreaded 'crepe murder' affect. Therefore, I prune periodically throughout the year, especially while training a young tree. If your trees were in my yard, I would prune away those low branches that are growing downwards.

BTW, Natchez is one of my favorites!

Happy gardening,
    Annette