Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Pics of my Veggie Garden

tomncath
15 years ago

Well, it's over now for the most part but I wanted to share a few early pictures of my first CONTAINER veggie garden. I enjoyed it and will definitely be going this way in the future.

Tom

{{gwi:13248}}

Comments (17)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

WOW, Tom!!! Great veggie garden! You have a beautiful view too. I think that is one of the neatest container gardens I've ever seen. Everything looks great. Do you have any shots of it later in the season? My veggies have been in the ground but I'm thinking it's time to switch to containers. Think I'd have a much better yield.
    ~Betsy

• sumala
    15 years ago

Very nice indeed. Great utilization of space.

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Tom,That is beautiful and so convenient for harvesting.
    This is my first year,also,doing container vegetable gardening. It is easier to maintain. Almost no weeding involved. Can be moved if need to. Like I said,My first year
    and I'm very please.
    Felix

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I love the way you terraced the slope on the lake too.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone,

This is actually my fifth year for this garden. The first three years went well in the box but the last two years have been disastrous trying to control the nematodes, worms and mildew. I'm very happy with the container concept and keeping the vining crops off the ground by trellising them, worked extremely well with the cukes, next come the zukes. Now I have to get the hang of better draining container mixes. Al over at the Container Forum has been helping me so I think things will get even better in the Fall.

Betsy - I didn't take any later pics, sorry. I'm hoping to be better about that with this upcoming season. My wife and I went to the Bahamas for a few weeks and while my neighbors did water and pick veggies they are not into the garden like we are, point being that the cukes and zukes were hopelessly infested with powdery mildew when we got back, but it was close to the end anyway.

Since this container mix has only one season of use I'm planning on solarizing it in concrete mixing tubs on the upper walkway above the garden and then mixing it 50%/50% with new, but I'm still working on the specifics of my next mix...next season hoping to show pics of solarizing, seedlings, setting seedlings, setting plants and progress of the garden.

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

Nice setup.
    It looks very efficient and convenient and clean.
    I bet you harvest a lot of good veggies.
    Looking forward to your documentary next season.

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

Wow, is all I can say. It is so neat and professional looking. You have some wonderful ideas. And I think some I will copy. My poor veggie garden is always the last I get too and looks terrible. In spite of me, it does produce some veggies. lol

• desertfarmerjohn
    15 years ago

That is the coolest vegetable container garden that I have seen. Wonderful use of space and your plants look great. Some pics of my container garden can be found on my blog that I've linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening in the Desert

• desertfarmerjohn
    15 years ago

oops sorry I linked the wrong site above. Try this one instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening in the Desert

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Awesome!! You have some neatness issues going, man. LOL! Everything looks so perfect!! You make me very jealous!!! Want to come over for a beer and plant a set up for me like that???

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, you can see I put a little thought into this project before I started it...had to make sure it would not be an eyesore for my neighbors.

Cindee, seems you know me well already. I've been known to hang out on street corners with a sign "Will work for beer!" ;-)

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

What a view! That is beautiful!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, our little slice of heaven.

• alisande
    15 years ago

WowÂthat's fantastic! So big, so neat, so productive! Care to tell us everything that you grew in those pots? And can you give us some detail on the trellis you created?

I can see I'd better start saving money for supplies next spring.

• SaintPFLA
    15 years ago

This is impressive, indeed. What sized pots did you use? How did you organize the plants, ie: top row, bottom row, etc.?

Did you have any issues with moisture retention? I liked the organizationn of it all.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alisande, summer squash (Butterstick), bell peppers (several diff), pole beans (Kentucky Blue), more bell peppers, Cucumber (Bush Champion), tomatoes (eight diff) and some icicle radishes that really can't be seen.

The trellises are Cattle Panel and 8' T-post.

saintpfla, the narrow beds were all determinate tomatoes, and the far end looking down the lake was indeterminate maters. I used 7 & 10 gallon containers. Remember that this was my first year in containers and I did have some moisture retention problems, too much moisture! In an attempt to save a few bucks I used Jungle Growth Professional Flower and Veggie mix, which is designed as a bedding mix, not a potting mix...doesn't really wick in a pot, DUH! Slowed the maters down initially but once they took off it actually worked quite well but the peppers were another story.... I'll be making Al's mix for the next season

• alisande
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. Your garden is truly inspiring.

You might want to add some wonderful crookneck squash to your collection next year. (I'm returning the favor.) :-)