Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any good deals in Lake or Marion Counties?

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lade Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 8:25

I live at the northern border Lake County. In fact, if I cross the street I'll be in Marion County. I have been looking for nurseries and garden supply stores in my area and I have had little luck. I live 5 minutes away from Home Despot, and while I do a bit of shopping there, Big Box Stores are usually a bit more expensive and a lot more inaccurate than smaller nurseries. But most of the nurseries around here deal in exotics and are Villages priced (meaning they're about 50% higher than the Big Box Stores).
According to online searches, there are no native plant nurseries closer than Webster or Groveland. So if anyone happens to be in my neck of the woods and knows of any good, fair priced nurseries that happens to carry native plants (even if hidden in a corner), I would sure love to hear about them. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any good deals in Lake or Marion Counties?

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 9:10

There is a nursery called Kenny's Place located between Ocala and Bellview off of 441 that is run by a group for the mentally and physically disabled that has good plants at good prices. They have everything from native plants to tropicals and all of their plants are usually very healthy. It's been about a year since I've been there though.

There's also Bob Wine's nursery in Ocala that specializes in camelias but has a wide range of other plants as well. There are another couple of nurseries up in north marion county that I've been to but they are off any of the major roads and I can't remember what their names are. It's been quite some time since I've been in that area and I'm not even sure that I could find them at this point.

Have you tried going to a local farmers market? I've seen small nurseries set up booths at various markets before.

Hope this helps.

Kara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here