Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naplesgardener

bamboo source suggestions?

naplesgardener
16 years ago

I have fallen in love with bamboo lately and need some suggestions. I have mailordered from tropicalbamboo and happy with plants but it's too expensive to continue this way.

My reading of bamboo books says that starting from seed is a good way to go but where do I find seed of "tropical" bamboo?

I've looked at GW Bamboo forum and read that the ebay seller I almost ordered from doesn't sell viable/reliable seed (Marina in Germany).

Any ideas are appreciated.

Oh I also called ECHO in Ft Myers and they only have bamboo in 7 gallon pots which is too big for me to get home and also $95. Not a bad price for big size bamboo but I'm looking for cheaper.

Comments (8)

• nikkers
    16 years ago

Try Crowley Nursery in Punta Gorda. Home Depot also carries some at times. Florida Bamboo can be a good source.

Jo

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Lots of bamboo seeds available on eBay!

• annafl
    16 years ago

naplesgardener, if you are willing to drive about 1h 45 minutes up to the Sarasota area, you can find any bamboo you want at almost any size. Crowley's has a lot, but I'm not sure about sizes. Call Kathy Crowley at (941) 322-0315. An even greater source, and a little closer for you, and a little cheaper (I think), is Sarasota Bamboo Farm. The guy's name is Richard, and you have to call him to schedule an appointment, you just can't show up. He even has 3 gallon pots. His number: (941) 378-9880. He will drive you around in a golf cart and show you full-grown clumps of almost any bamboo you can think of. In my opinion, it's ideal, cuz you know what the final product looks like. I would call either place first and ask about sizes, prices, availability, etc. Good luck! Bamboo is fun.

Anna

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Lisa and I went to Tropical Bamboo what a place! They told us that buying in person was much less than mailorder. You might consider taking a drive over.

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you all for your suggestions.
    I just returned from Sarasota area and purchased one bamboo from Crowley's (near Sarasota) but they mostly stock 7 gal. bamboo. I got a 3 gal Alphonse Karr.

The problem with ebay is I can't find any reliable seed seller. The Bamboo forum on GW has comments on that.
    I don't want to wait 3 months to a year to find out it's not what they said it was.

I will put Sarasota Bamboo Farm on my list for next time.
    Still looking to find seeds or cuttings and keep the cost down.

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

If you can get bamboo to grow from a cutting let me know. lol

Someone hacked their Hawaiian Painted Bamboo last year in Hollywood and I tried and tried to get it to root. : (

Cliff

• naplesgardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tropfreak
    the book I'm reading says that it is difficult do propagation from cuttings and that seeds are preferred--it should be done when the plant is not shooting but then they say to remove the culm with a swollen rhizome attached.
    I was surprised that divisions from established plants are also difficult and not usually used by growers.
    The easiest and preferred method is division from container stock.
    Nothing sounds easy except seeds (which I am looking for).

• murahilin
    16 years ago

naplesgardener, your post gave me the idea to look on ebay for seeds. I never thought about it before but I found the person you were talking about. Even though the seeds probably will not come out the same as the mother plant. I think it might be kind of interesting to grow them from seed and get different varieties. Well hopefully I will get the seeds soon and they grow well.