Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenepastures

A 6ft tall tomato plant with no tomatos,,,HELP

greenepastures
10 years ago

Actually..only 2 tomatoes...there were many more blossoms about a month ago but they're all gone......

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...they get the best of organic nutrients....is it the wrong time of year? There are some blighted leaves toward the bottom but it's overall health is good....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..Im in Hillsborough County if that helps..............Thanks in advance

Comments (14)

• amberroses
    10 years ago

It's probably too hot now for the blooms to set fruit.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

That would be my guess as well...link below explains pretty much about the night time temps being too warm for the blooms to set fruit...though it talks about Houston specifically I'm sure it applies to us here as well...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom set temps...

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Timing is an important ingredient for successful vegetable growing. Google your zone for a schedule of what to plant when. In Florida it is not as important as northern climes. But there are windows of time that must be honored. Good luck.

• greenepastures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dear puglvr1....

I believe you might be right. I've heard something similar at the garden store about this last year (my rookie year in organic gardening) but completely forgot about it.

It makes sense....Now that you mention it, my best tomato production was this past December, January...I took the little plants out of the pots sometime in mid November and they took off....my only problem then was keeping the racoons off the the plants (I lost about 3 dozen tomatoes to those rascals)....

OK...so what do I do now?...I've got 3 plants going and they are all at least 4ft tall..

• tomncath
    10 years ago

See my post here, just as N said....

Tom

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Not sure what happened with the link, lets try it again.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Not sure why the link isn't working so the URL and title are below....

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Plants, Little Fruit

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

" In Florida it is not as important as northern climes."

I'm not sure about that. 'northern climes' covers a lot of territory, from the perspective of fla, doesn't it? IME, the windows of opportunity are of similar duration. The big difference is that there may be two per year in fla (and other southern regions) and only one in places much farther north.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Tom, I'm not sure why, but for some reason embedding links and pictures hasn't been working very well lately. I don't know if its the browsers people are using or the devices (smartphone, tablets, etc), but I have had people mention that they can not see links or pictures that I embed into my posts with HTML tags.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Tom, I'm not sure why, but for some reason embedding links and pictures hasn't been working very well lately....

Guess I've been gone too long :-(

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Greenpastures, I don't know if I can be helpful as I am new to Florida and also planted two tomato plants. A neighbor showed me her tomatoes which were huge and she told me she planted them 2 years ago and they keep growing. I was shocked. She said the heat slows them down and then they pick up in the Fall and she gets tomatoes again.

So maybe our plants will produce in the Fall.

Jane

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Without doubt, timing is much different in Florida. For one we have a much larger window of opportunity. In the northern tier of the U.S. the growing season is 90 days. The more south the more it modarates. PLbrown, you paraphrased me and left out the but timing is important part.

Jane..I need seeds of those forever tomatoes. I've had hot peppers last 2 years. And I have an orchid that stays in bloom.

I want veggies that grow like weeds and weeds that grow like veggies.

• greenepastures
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok...I'm pulling my plants and will start over in september...the general consensus is temperature extremes...thanks everyone!

• Kasima
    10 years ago

I take the suckers from my plants and root them every spring. By fall, I have huge plants that start to set fruit and produce all winter. I had an asian eggplant once that got 4 feet tall and lived for 3 years until a freeze got it. The last year it was alive, it put out over 60 eggplants.

True tomatoes are actually perennials. The nematodes and the other baddies get them down here, or they die from the cold.