Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Snake or lizard eggs?

KaraLynn
16 years ago

For the past few weeks when I've been working in the garden I've been finding little white eggs that about a half inch long under the mulch. I ussually only find them one at a time but once I found at least 6 right next to each other. I've had to re-locate at least a dozen eggs to other areas of the garden to keep from accidently crushing them. Moving the eggs won't damage them, right?

Is there anyway to tell if the eggs I'm finding are lizard or snake eggs? I have seen both green and brown anoles, skinks, six-lined racerunners, and eastren glass lizards in the garden as well as garter snakes, black racers, ring-necks, and corn snakes. Is there a safe way to keep the eggs in a container until they hatch so that I can see what they are?

Also, are the six-lined racerunner or brown anole lizards poisonous to cats? The lizards keep getting into my garage and my youngest cat has been catching them and leaving them in the middle of my living room carpet for me to find. I really wish she would stop bringing things in from the garage, it's very disturbing to be walking across the carpet bare-footed and end up stepping on a dead lizard or large bug! I don't thingk she's actually eaten any lizards yet but it's probably only a matter of time before she does, particularly since I've put her on a diet.

Comments (4)