Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake or lizard eggs?

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Citrus (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 9:06

For the past few weeks when I've been working in the garden I've been finding little white eggs that about a half inch long under the mulch. I ussually only find them one at a time but once I found at least 6 right next to each other. I've had to re-locate at least a dozen eggs to other areas of the garden to keep from accidently crushing them. Moving the eggs won't damage them, right?

Is there anyway to tell if the eggs I'm finding are lizard or snake eggs? I have seen both green and brown anoles, skinks, six-lined racerunners, and eastren glass lizards in the garden as well as garter snakes, black racers, ring-necks, and corn snakes. Is there a safe way to keep the eggs in a container until they hatch so that I can see what they are?

Also, are the six-lined racerunner or brown anole lizards poisonous to cats? The lizards keep getting into my garage and my youngest cat has been catching them and leaving them in the middle of my living room carpet for me to find. I really wish she would stop bringing things in from the garage, it's very disturbing to be walking across the carpet bare-footed and end up stepping on a dead lizard or large bug! I don't thingk she's actually eaten any lizards yet but it's probably only a matter of time before she does, particularly since I've put her on a diet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake or lizard eggs?

Karalynn, the eggs sound like anole eggs to me. Perfect description. I can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure the snake eggs would be larger. (Wayne?) I move the lizard eggs out of pots all the time, and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

No, the anoles and racerunners aren't toxic to my knowledge. My animals have killed (and sometimes eaten) both over the years, with no ill effects. I HAVE heard that skinks are poisonous, but I'll have to research that to be sure. (Again, if you are around Wayne, please share your knowledge with us. We are all trying to learn more about our reptilian garden visitors.)

Marcia

o

Those eggs sound too small for any of the snakes that you've mentioned except perhaps the ringneck.

Turning the eggs over may suffocate the embryo inside. You can mark the shell with a marker to keep track of which side is up, and then move the eggs without worry.

o

i have also been finding these eggs in my garden-
they are about 2 inches underneath my soil... these are white with yellowish tan spots- i found 4 together yesterday-
i took them, put them in a pot of soil and covered them.
i have had a pet lizard before... ( just a regular backyard lizard) and i had him with a female, they had eggs exactly the same-
but i didn't touch them, nor did they-
so needless to say, i through them out-
so i am pretty sure they are regular lizard eggs-

o

While doing yard work today my mom found an egg that is about the size of the ones you explained above it was in our side yard in some tall grass we dont know if its snake or lizard we live in north florida and just moved here from out west and dont see things like this often its white with little reddish brown speckles on it, can anyone help figure out if its snake or lizard please

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here