Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike80_gw

Blackberry Weed Issue

mike80
10 years ago

I am growing blackberries in raised beds (18-24 inches deep filled with compost) in an attempt to help contain them, so far it seems to be working. All the varieties are trailing, thorned types and I have a trellis system in place. Currently they fruited for the first time this year and are extremely productive, especially considering some mistakes I made along the way last year. I am going to try and correct my weed issue this year after they finish fruiting. Weed control is a major issue in general due to South FloridaâÂÂs climate, but is especially difficult with blackberries as once the canes reach a certain size it is impossible to get at the weeds due to the thorns, so the weeds get very tall and thick. I am looking for any advice you might have, but here are some of the questions I have going through my mind:

1. I know blackberries are extremely tough, would they grow through a thin weed mat?
2. Should I just mulch them with several inches of mulch? If so what kind? Pine bark fines?
3. Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
4. I would also be interested to know what other blackberry & other berry varieties people have had success with in South Florida (Zone 10)

Comments (4)