Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martina_deluca

A walk in the garden this morning......(pic heavy)

Martina DeLuca
12 years ago

Lamium and Calathea Zebrina

Brugmansia

Colocasia Lime Aide

Yellow variegated Odora

AE AE variegated

Black Magic and spider web

Calathea variegata coming out of dormancy

Rose garden

Cream Abundance

Lavender Simplicity

Better quit for now. I love this time of year in the garden.

Tina

Comments (23)

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    12 years ago

Tina: Thanks for taking us along on your garden walk. The plants look so healthy and happy. If I had to pick a fav, it would be the first picture - the lamium and calathea zebrina. It's an especially attractive combo. - June

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Beautiful. I didn't think I liked lamium, but now I'm having to reconsider that.

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

Just beautiful, Tina.

• tinael01
    12 years ago

OOOOoooohhhh.......Pretty! Where'd you get the black magic? I'd like to get some. The other Tina. :)

• ariel73
    12 years ago

I love it! I really like your Calathea Zebrina. I have some and it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours!
    Great job

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina....I got Black Magic years ago in a trade when I started collecting Aroids. I will have babies soon if you're close to Plant City.

Thanks June and Veronica.

Writersblock....I tried Lamium last year and it was a mess planted in the ground. This year it is in a pot will super draining soil and it's doing well.

Ariel.....I love Zebrina. Of all of the Calatheas, it is the least fussy. It comes back every year and literally gives me no problems. I use it as a border. I am still filling this in and going all the way around this bed with it.

Another angle

Tina

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Tina, your knot garden made with the edging blocks is brilliant! I love it. I can picture bigger versions of it for a veggie garden. You're so smart!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• annafl
    12 years ago

Tina, I absolutely love all your plants. The brug is spectacular. Is it planted in ground or in a pot? Also love the alocasia collection and the calathea zebrina. Your individual shots were beautiful, but I really love the garden shots and seeing how you have arranged everything. Nice bench.

Anna

• fl_southpaw
    12 years ago

Tina,
    That is magical. Love the combinations. Thanks for posting these. The use of the edging in last picture is very clever!
    Julie in WPB

• starryrider
    12 years ago

Great pictures. I love seeing everyones gardens and ideas.

• User
    12 years ago

does your Zebrina bloom??? saw it blooming brilliant blue at leu gardens, mine has never flowered????? love seeing your garden! alot of the alocasia, calatheas, and stuff like that are really hurting here with the lack of rain. got my water bill yesterday, yikes!

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Sherry and Julie.......I got a bunch of the straight and curved edging pieces for free and while I had a project in mind for the straight ones, I had no idea what to do with the curved. I asked on GW and someone gave me the idea. It fits perfectly there splitting the path up the three ways it goes.

Anna....my brug is in the ground. It dies all the way back every winter and comes back. I have multiple other brugs in varying light conditions but this is the only one I get to bloom....in full sun.

Starryrider....I love seeing everyone's pics too. Everyone has such unique ideas!!

Wallisadi.....My Zebrina does bloom....pretty purple/blue ginger type flowers. I have collected plants from the Aroid family for years, Alocasias being my favorite. With age my collection has dwindled to the Aroid plants that will survive here on their own without me lugging them in and out of the house each winter. Lol. I do still have my favorites I won't let go. I'll post more pictures when some of them get bigger.

• annafl
    12 years ago

Tina, it is just gorgeous! I've never had much luck with brugs. I don't do well with watering things in pots, and when I've tried them in the ground, the nematodes found them quickly. Congrats.

Anna

• izharhaq
    12 years ago

Every thing so beautiful... I love the variegated plants, we don't have variegated Alocaisa here but only the regular green ones which become invasive if put in ground .. your Brug is lovely, I have two grown from seeds gifted by a gardener in Florida, they grew very well in winters but now they are an easy target for pests like red mites and mealy bugs, I keep on cleaning them and used pesticides as well but they keep on attacking my precious Brugs after a week or so from spray... that fresh bloom on Lavender Simplicity rose is just awesome...

• goldenpond
    12 years ago

I love your colors. Green and white are truly prettier than the yellows alot of foiiage have. Everything looks SO healthy and happy

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Beautiful

Thank you for taking us along.

Kathy

• Irma_StPete
    12 years ago

Yes, thank you for taking us along from within my air conditioned house. It's the only way to go, today!

• amberroses
    12 years ago

Love the roses :)

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

How nice to wake up this morning with a walk through your garden!
    I'm with Anna, I can't grow brugs in the ground so I need your beautiful pics.
    thanks,
    Hester

• Sergy A
    5 years ago

Your Calatheas are wonderful. I just realized that you posted those photos in 2011 which was like 8 years ago. Your garden looks great. Do you still grow Calatheas? I especially like your Calathea variegata which I believe is called Calathea Princeps. So beautiful! Is it still coming out every year? Thank you :)

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Sergy. I have since moved from that 15 year old garden and did not bring that Calathea with me apparently. I brought 5 truckloads of garden here with me to the new place but it must have been dormant. I’m just now getting my calathea collection back up to speed. I post mostly on Instagram now under aroidgardener. Thanks

• Sergy A
    5 years ago

Hi Martina, it was very kind of you to answer my message considering the date of the original post. I checked out your photos on Instagram and, O, my God, you have such a beautiful collection of tropical plants. You Anthuriums are mind-blowing! I collect Calatheas myself but it's a bit challenging considering I live in Colorado which is not really a Calathea-friendly state. I have to work extra hard to provide enough humidity and other care to make sure they are happy. I was trying to find Calathea Princeps that you had in your old garden for quite a while now but to no avail. Is it possible to find Calathea Princeps and other exotic Calatheas in Florida garden centers or nurseries? I also saw another Calathea on one of your photos. I think it's either Villosa or Pavonii. What a beauty! Would you be kind enough to consider maybe trading or selling me a rhizome? Now I'm one of your followers on Instagram. Thank you very much. (I attached your photo of Calathea I was talking about. I hope your don't mind it

)

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

Beautiful. I'm jealous.