Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A walk in the garden this morning......(pic heavy)

Posted by aroidgardener 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 9:39

Lamium and Calathea Zebrina
Photobucket

Brugmansia
Photobucket

Colocasia Lime Aide
Photobucket

Yellow variegated Odora
Photobucket

AE AE variegated
Photobucket

Black Magic and spider web
Photobucket

Calathea variegata coming out of dormancy
Photobucket

Rose garden
Photobucket

Cream Abundance
Photobucket

Lavender Simplicity
Photobucket

Better quit for now. I love this time of year in the garden.

Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A walk in the garden this morning......(pic heavy)

Tina: Thanks for taking us along on your garden walk. The plants look so healthy and happy. If I had to pick a fav, it would be the first picture - the lamium and calathea zebrina. It's an especially attractive combo. - June

o

Beautiful. I didn't think I liked lamium, but now I'm having to reconsider that.

o

Just beautiful, Tina.

o

OOOOoooohhhh.......Pretty! Where'd you get the black magic? I'd like to get some. The other Tina. :)

o

I love it! I really like your Calathea Zebrina. I have some and it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours!
Great job

o

Tina....I got Black Magic years ago in a trade when I started collecting Aroids. I will have babies soon if you're close to Plant City.

Thanks June and Veronica.

Writersblock....I tried Lamium last year and it was a mess planted in the ground. This year it is in a pot will super draining soil and it's doing well.

Ariel.....I love Zebrina. Of all of the Calatheas, it is the least fussy. It comes back every year and literally gives me no problems. I use it as a border. I am still filling this in and going all the way around this bed with it.

Photobucket

Another angle
Photobucket

Tina

o

Tina, your knot garden made with the edging blocks is brilliant! I love it. I can picture bigger versions of it for a veggie garden. You're so smart!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 16:28

Tina, I absolutely love all your plants. The brug is spectacular. Is it planted in ground or in a pot? Also love the alocasia collection and the calathea zebrina. Your individual shots were beautiful, but I really love the garden shots and seeing how you have arranged everything. Nice bench.

Anna

o

Tina,
That is magical. Love the combinations. Thanks for posting these. The use of the edging in last picture is very clever!
Julie in WPB

o

Great pictures. I love seeing everyones gardens and ideas.

o

does your Zebrina bloom??? saw it blooming brilliant blue at leu gardens, mine has never flowered????? love seeing your garden! alot of the alocasia, calatheas, and stuff like that are really hurting here with the lack of rain. got my water bill yesterday, yikes!

o

Thanks everyone!

Sherry and Julie.......I got a bunch of the straight and curved edging pieces for free and while I had a project in mind for the straight ones, I had no idea what to do with the curved. I asked on GW and someone gave me the idea. It fits perfectly there splitting the path up the three ways it goes.

Anna....my brug is in the ground. It dies all the way back every winter and comes back. I have multiple other brugs in varying light conditions but this is the only one I get to bloom....in full sun.

Starryrider....I love seeing everyone's pics too. Everyone has such unique ideas!!

Wallisadi.....My Zebrina does bloom....pretty purple/blue ginger type flowers. I have collected plants from the Aroid family for years, Alocasias being my favorite. With age my collection has dwindled to the Aroid plants that will survive here on their own without me lugging them in and out of the house each winter. Lol. I do still have my favorites I won't let go. I'll post more pictures when some of them get bigger.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 10:45

Tina, it is just gorgeous! I've never had much luck with brugs. I don't do well with watering things in pots, and when I've tried them in the ground, the nematodes found them quickly. Congrats.

Anna

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi 11a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 1:49

Every thing so beautiful... I love the variegated plants, we don't have variegated Alocaisa here but only the regular green ones which become invasive if put in ground .. your Brug is lovely, I have two grown from seeds gifted by a gardener in Florida, they grew very well in winters but now they are an easy target for pests like red mites and mealy bugs, I keep on cleaning them and used pesticides as well but they keep on attacking my precious Brugs after a week or so from spray... that fresh bloom on Lavender Simplicity rose is just awesome...

o

I love your colors. Green and white are truly prettier than the yellows alot of foiiage have. Everything looks SO healthy and happy

o

Beautiful

Thank you for taking us along.

Kathy

o

Yes, thank you for taking us along from within my air conditioned house. It's the only way to go, today!

o

Love the roses :)

o

How nice to wake up this morning with a walk through your garden!
I'm with Anna, I can't grow brugs in the ground so I need your beautiful pics.
thanks,
Hester

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here