Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ALL around plant food - fertiler to buy

Posted by Scotty0613 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 10:08

I’m looking for the best ALL around best plant food / fertilizer for ALL types of different plants, trees, flowers etc. for my yard in South Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help and a BIG thank you in advance.

Scotty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ALL around plant food - fertiler to buy

The best all-around fertilizers have at least these two criteria: 1) they are balanced (NPK ratio: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium), and 2) they are slow-release, which reduces the likelihood of burning plants from excess nitrogen.

Osmocote Outdoor & Indoor Smart-Release Plant Food is one fertilizer that fits both of those criteria:
http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/osmocote-outdoor-indoor-plant-food/prod70362/

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn about Fertilizer

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 16:34

o

Lesco 13-3-13......use it most everything every spring.......blooming foliage lesco 8-10-10. You'll get a thousand opinions, so experiment, but in fertilizer, you usually get what ya pay for.

o

I agree with Carol for most plants. Time released fertilizers are very good in Florida because most of our soil is so sandy. When you start talking trees I suggest Milorganite if they are oaks or pines or even camellias, but palms, citrus and other trees do best with specific fertilizers.

I use Espoma products for most of my flowers or bushes. Espoma is all natuaral, organic fertilizer. It doesn't burn and it seems to encourage the growth of the good bacteria.

o

yep, Tom.
I use Espoma too. My local feed store now has an all organic fertilizer in 50lbs and I can't get the Espoma in 50s. One of my palms has a bad deficiency because of all purpose fertilizer.
The problem with the all organic is that we now have a dog and she won't leave it alone :-o

o

If you use an organic fertilizer, be sure to bury it in the soil, particularly with potted plants. The morning after I fertilize with organics I find that animals have dug up the fertilizer, leaving mounds of soil around the trunks. The labels on the organics don't mention that animals find it edible.

o

I want to thank everyone who took time to answer my question and for giving me valuable advice.

Thanks,
S

o

Ditto about the organic fertilizer. I spread some on my lawn and the dogs ate as much as they could before I realized what was going on. It stunk, too. I decided I didn't need a perfect lawn.

o

Read the label........chicken this and chicken that.....= rats, ect.......:(. Lesco, time release.....read the label......tons of minor nutrients.....just my take......:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here