Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

A Great Local Nursery

Bah's Nursery - south side of Griffin Road, just east of I-75. Jamaican Shirley is the owner. Very knowledgeable. She has a massive variety of plants, trees, and palms. Some specifics - at least 5 Jamaican Star Apples (Cainito) in 25-gallon and larger cans. Dozens of rare Crotons. All sorts of rare and hard-to-find palms. 8 different varieties of Mussaenda! She is very negotiable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Maps view of Bah's Nursery

Comments (9)

• morningloree
    9 years ago

Sounds like a great find, not exactly my neck of the woods, but worth a trip!

• fl west coast zone 10a
    9 years ago

It sounds like a great place to go. Do they have small
    plants in 3 gallon containers or smaller, I occasionally
    go down to Fort Lauderdale and often go to the Living
    Color nursery, and have also been to Jesse Durko's
    nursery. If I stay on Griffin road from Fort Lauderdale,
    do I go past 75 to get there? I like to push the limit
    on the tropicalness here in Sarasota, and try to grow
    many plants that are uncommon.

Thanks

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Can't seem to find a website for them. I'm looking for some tree ferns and some oddball staghorn ferns
    know how I can contact them?? Thanks gary

• coffeemom
    9 years ago

That's practically my backyard. I'll have to check out the mussaenda.

Gary, I have a friend in the business:Fantastic Ferns. They often are at Mounts. Is that a good email address on your page? Want me to send you their info? They also have a Facebook page.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shirley has a telephone, but no website, and it may be a rotary dial phone. She has plants in everything from 6" pots to 45-gallon cans. Lots of orchids at great prices. I didn't notice any tree ferns, but the place is literally packed with plants.

• halfwaythere
    9 years ago

That's practically my backyard too! I'm always on the lookout for great nurseries. There are so many of them here.
    I can tell you one to avoid... Bloom's Nursery on Flamingo. We bought a house with a good sized yard with practically nothing planted in it. I try find good deals whenever I can. I saw a Groupon for Bloom's and purchased a few. Went there and tried to ask the workers a few questions but none spoke English. They kept pointing at the boss (I assume owner). I waited and waited while he helped this one woman. Finally, after about 15 min, I politely interrupted with a question about the Angelonia. He stated that he was helping someone with a large order and that I'd have to wait. I googled Angelonia and decided to purchase them. loaded up my cart with Podocarpus, Crossandra and about 10 Angelonia, all that was left. It is so hot here now and those big podocarpus are heavy. No one helps so I was sweating. Interrupted him again, wanting to pay and be on my way (apparently he's the only one who works the register). He huffed and rang me up. I took out my groupon, he looked at it and said, "I'm sorry this woman I've been working with wants the Angelonia. You'll have to put them back". Ummm what? But I just loaded everything up? Why didn't you put hers on the side? I am a sweaty cranky mess and let him know how his customer service sucks and left everything right there. He stated, right in front of the woman, "It's your world, we're just living in it." I'll leave the Groupon in my account as credit. He will not get my money.
    Another great nursery I've found is Florida Nursery Mart on Griffin between Flamingo and Palm. I can't speak for their selection as I went in with specific fruit trees in mind, but the customer service was excellent. They help you all the way and give planting and care instructions. So far the Avocado, Lemon and Banana are doing great. Love the employees there. They are knowledgeable.
    I still have some planting projects so I'll swing by Bah's for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Coffeemom
    Couldn't find a website for Fantastic ferns in the US
    What I'm looking for is Blechnum brasilense the red form
    and both Cyathea medullaris,C dealbata Black and silver tree ferns .
    can't locate phone # for either nursery??
    thanks gary

• tomncath
    9 years ago

....Dozens of rare Crotons....

Okay Ricky, you caught my interest, lived here all my life and ignored them, suddenly I like them - go figure. If you don't want to post here can you send me an email from (My page)? I'd like to know more about the rarer crotons.

Tom

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County