Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fagopher

harvesting Mangoes?

fagopher
15 years ago

Hi All,

I got a small mango tree (Kent) and it has now few mangoes. I have been researching to learn when should they be taken out of the tree but all I found is about the color changing from a deep green to a light green. When I look at my mangoes it is green.. yes but it also have some red and it is not all deep green...

So question remains .. when it is appropriate to harvest it?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

I do know that one of the indicators is when you pick the fruit and there is very little sap or prefably no sap at all comes out when you break it off the stem,sometimes you may still have to set it on the counter, or what I have done is wrap it up in newspaper and put it in the pantry for a few days, checking it every other and smelling it. Ripe mangos definitely have a very distinct smell, as green ones to me don't smell at all. Also if you click on the link below there is an awesome webpage called Fruitscapes, and if you scroll down to the videos, dated
    June 2007, he talks about how to tell/signs when its time to harvest. Great Website, full of information and great videos. Can you post a picture of your tree, LOVE to see it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruitscapes: University of Florida

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

According to Pine Island Nursery, Kent ripen in July and August. I'd wait until at least mid-July to pick the first one to try.

I'm jealous! I have 9 Condo Mango trees and no fruit. My puppy picked them unripe and gobbled them up.

Sigh.. More fences to build!

Lisa

• SaintPFLA
    15 years ago

My neighbor has the most gorgeous enormous mango tree. I so enjoy looking at it's beautiful canopy. It's very old and well established - heavy producer. Must be 80 feet tall with a wide canopy.

The raccoons really enjoy carrying the mangos from the neighbor's tree to my yard. Then, they sit on my chaise and eat them! In the morning, I find the sticky mango stones on my patio furniture! Yuck!

I have to admit...that chaise is pretty comfortable!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Lisa, That's pretty funny...who knew dogs would eat green mango? Actually my Pug loves vegies, green beans, celery, carrot,etc. But I must admit he has never tried green mango, he would probably eat it though, lol. Better start on those fences, if you want fruits next year, lol...

9 Condo mangos, that's great...I am not quite there, I just bought my #6 last week, and I think I am set for now.
    I have to concentrate on them getting bigger, protecting them from frost is my biggest challenge...then getting fruits is my ultimate dream.

Saintpfl, you need to train the squirrels to bring you some "uneaten mango", tell them if they want to use your chaise, they are going to have to earn it...

• krazyjorge0424
    15 years ago

One thing I have noticed and may not be the same with all varieties, but the stem holding the mango changes color when the mango is ripe.

• fagopher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Puglvr1... very informative videos...

I got mine from Lukas nursery about 1 year ago.. it is still small and I was surprised produced fruit this year...

Here are the pictures:

Thanks to all who responded...

Cheers

• yogacathy
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what variety we have, but we share the bounty with our neighbors. They pick them still green and make chutney's and such with them. I tasted some and it was delicious. I've always eaten them traditionally. Your tree looks lovely, enjoy :)

Cathy

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures...you have a very nice tree Lucky you, the fruits looks delicious. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos, it is very informative.

• baseballfan2
    15 years ago

My wife is from El Salvador, and she picks them green. She cuts them up and puts lime and salt on them. You can also add chilli powder to it.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio