Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linchat_gw

Cucumber Issues?

linchat
14 years ago

Not entirely sure this is an issue or not, if it is, want to catch it before it becomes on. My cucumbers are Poinsette and growing in Al's 511. They have been doing great, more cucumbers then I have EVER gotten (picking 2 a day for the last week)! WOW! Finally I found a variety that can handle S. Florida. Seem to do well against powdery mildew. Could be soil to, the container'd plants are blowing away cukes in the ground.

I am noticing that these plants are begining to look like the image below. I thought maybe Maganese issue so I gave some Epson salt.

They were planted with a 9 month CRF (to long, all I had at time of planting) that contained minors. I fertilize with MG (1/2 strength) once a week. I finally did find a Minors fert from Southern AG finally which I added a tablespoon to each of plants (half the recommendation).

This problem has just started to show itself, the container plants are producing ALLOT so I pretty sure there is a depletion somewhere. What is the depletion is the question of the hour! :)

Thanks

{{gwi:35531}}

Comments (11)

• linchat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also, thought this could be Iron issue, which I was hoping the minors fert would resolve.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Well, whatever it is I'd think Al or JAG may know. Why don't you post this question and the picture over at the Container Forum so we can see what they think....

Nice to hear somebody in Zone 10 has been able to grow cukes this time of year :-)

Tom

• linchat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am surprised too. I have heard people say it is too late. But they are doing great, so far... They are droopy during the day and pickup around 4. The problem is in the container and in the ground. Wandering maybe heat issue.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

it looks vaguely like anthracnose to me... mine are totally infected, but happily still producing. tough little plants...

it's amazing yours are still alive in z10, and even more amazing that they're not infested with pickleworms. your minors should help if it's a deficiency. have you done a good wash of chelated iron? if indeed it's an iron deficiency (entirely likely with rain + potting mix), that should turn it around in a few days... a tablespoon in a gallon of water, and splash it all over the leaves and in the pot.

nice job with the cukes. where'd you get the seeds?

• linchat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Think got seeds from Southern Seed Exchange and the variety is "Poinsette 76". I have been spraying with Thuricide which seems to be getting things under control, I have lost a few though to the pickleworms (pickle worms are the worms the burrow into the fruit right?).

Another member in the container garden forum recommended that it might be an iron issue as well. So I am going to head down to my local nursery this morning and see what I can come up with. I am suspecting an Iron deficiency myself.

Thanks

• flyingfish2
    14 years ago

linchat, how about a pic of your containers and how you are supporting the cuke vines?

bernie

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

huh--i'm amazed by the disease resistance of this open-pollinated cuke... why aren't we all growing it? sez it's resistant to anthracnose... HAH! nothing's resistant to it! but i'll definitely grow this next year...

• linchat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the pics. Does not quite show how the cucmbers are growing on the Okra stocks real well though.

This is a picture from the backside. Okra are out in front.
    Cucumbers are up in the tomato cages and wandering over to cukes in other pots.
    (The black containers get virtually no sun, so no, they are not heating up :) )

Here is from the side so you can see (if you can see) how the cucumbers wandered over to the Okra. Did not come out well in to the pic, you can kinda see how the cucumbers has become intertwined with the okra. Really worked out well.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Good job! You also get a Blue Ribbon in the Summer Veggie Green Thumb award category :-)

Tom

• marymilkweed
    14 years ago

I've been growing the same cucumber, "Poinsett 76" since March here in Altamonte Springs. I paid a $1.00 for the seeds from either Home Depot or Walmart. These are a wonderful tasting cucumber, I have harvested over 60 cukes and am just now losing the plants to the heat and the pickle worms. I used seaweed kelp mixed with fish emulsion & epsom salts for fertilizer but I am going to try Espoma's Vegetable-tone when I replant in the Fall.

• linchat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the ground or in containers? I will definitely be planting these in the fall. First time with cucumbers I got a significant harvest thanks to this variety.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting