Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordering seed for winter planting

Posted by MsMorningSong 10A (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:03

I just ordered (Johnny's Seeds) French melon Savor, Bibb lettuce, Brandywine tomato, Nelson Brussels sprouts (on sale, only 1.50 pkt!) and Flavorburst Bell Peppers for my fall planting.

I'm wondering if any one else is ordering their Fall seed now, and if so, what they are going to be growing?

I didn't pick out any peas because I haven't grown any in so long I don't know which ones are the best. Any suggestions would be welcome, I love peas and really want to add them to my garden this year.

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peas

I grow Sugar Snaps (also 'Super' Sugar Snaps). They have nice long vines & no waste.

& thanks for the reminder - I need to do my ordering soon, I think…..

o
RE: Ordering seed for winter planting

Has anyone tried Sugar Lace II? I'm curious as to how well they do in FL.

o

Ahh, Sugar Snap, that's one I remember that I love, yumm!

No writersblock, but I might try them along with Sugar Snap,
we can compare notes on flavor.

I plan on about 6 raised beds built this Sept., and wait until about October/November, depending upon Mother Nature; to start planting out certain starts.

Peas, of course, could go into late December here, if it's anything like last 'winter.'

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 19:24

I agree with Carol about the Super Sugar Snaps, stalks 5-6' vs. 3' with the others, many more peas but you have to use tall stakes and tie them well or they will break over in the wind....Only two pints of pickled tomatoes left, then on to the pickled Super Sugar Snaps :-) :-(

Tom

o

tomncath,
I would love your recipe for pickled peas. I've never tried that!

o

Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:14

I would love your recipe for pickled peas. I've never tried that!

I'm a simple fellow, I don't have canning stuff, just the jars so I refrigerator pickle everything. The jars on the right are upside down because I prefer the wide mouth jars so I turn them over every day or two for 10-14 days to assure that all the veggies are exposed sufficiently to the vinegar mix to prevent spoilage. This is the mix I use, makes great pickles out of anything, my fav is pickled okra, one of the few things we can grow here in the summer :-)

Tom

o

Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:33

Wrong link, sorry. This place is about half the shipping cost of the other...I usually buy 6-12 packets at a time to keep the total cost down.

Tom

o

Thank you. I love Koscher pickles, this should be wonderful.

o

Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 19:26

You won't be sorry, this refrigerator mix is far superior to the refrigerator mix put out by the folks that are famous for their jars ;-)

Tom

o

They have Mrs. Wages at Wally world, too. You can get them in store for about the same price, or you can order a 12pk case for less than $40 with site to store pick up and not pay shipping. ;-)

(Ask me how I know... LOL)

o

Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 9:02

...or you can order a 12pk case for less than $40 with site to store pick....

Is that more than 12? I get 12 shipped to my house, including shipping for $28.

Check this out too:

Ball Jars
Ball Jars

Wally World isn't always the cheapest ;-)

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here