Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mae_pop

What is this?

Mae-pop
10 years ago

This shrub type plant has been with the house since I moved in August of 1999. I have trimmed it back a couple times a year, year after year. Oddly, it bloomed for the first time ever. I have no idea what it would be. It smells unbelieveable!
The side of the house has gone by the wayside and I just started to clean it out. I noticed it had a 3/4 inch root runner about 5 feet away and a new tree was about 3 feet tall. I have dug it up and transplanted it. It is on the west facing wall of the house.
Any info is greatly appreciated!

Comments (18)

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the blooms.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Man, I'm stumped. My initial thought was Orange Jasimine, but the second picture says it's not that.

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked at Lukas Nursery and they were stumped. They Sent pics to another garden site and someone there said Ligustrum privet. Sound right?
    It's leaves and non woody branches are so soft and not rough...I never dreamed a ligustrum.
    I can't believe after 14 years its blooming. Weird! Did nothing different. It was the perfect picture of neglect. Think my husband pruned it at the just right time this year. Lovely, lovey smell and the native fl bees are all over it!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

If the blossoms have a pungent, stinky odor, I'd agree - privit. My neighbors all have it and it reminds me of cat urine odor.

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It actually smells very good like lilac.

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

We have something that looks like that, and an amazingly good smell. I can not for the life of me remember what I was told it was.

The word "tea" comes to mind as being part of the name, but I am not sure that's correct.

I'll try to force myself to remember!

• whgille
    10 years ago

Mae-pop

I bought it in Lukas nursery sweet olive and they look like that and smells nice, but if they id something different then maybe they are right?

Mine is starting to bloom

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet olive

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Ligustrum seems correct ; we had some type of ligustrum hedges in our yard when I was a kid & I remember loving the scent of the flowers - maybe not japonicum, tho - that 1 reportedly has the unpleasant-smelling flowers

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

I keep looking @ those leaves & they do not look like the most common ligustrums - they remind me of Walter's Viburnum leaves - but viburnum flowers are not on spikes like that

Hmm - maybe California privet? (ligustrum ovalifolium)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I think it may be Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense). It is considered a highly invasive plant. It is a Category I invasive (the worst) on the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council's 2011 List of Invasive Plant Species. "Invasive exotic plants are termed Category I invasives when they are altering native plant communities by displacing native species, changing community structures or ecological functions, or hybridizing with natives." It is a plant that should be removed and replaced with a Florida-friendly plant.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Privet (Ligustrum sinense) - Field Recognition Card

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is the ligustrum privet, invasive according to the UF extension. However it has never gone above 4 feet and has not moved til recently.
    I am all the more happier to remove it! I love my natives!!
    :)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I think the "invasive" crap is overblown, myself. If you like the plant; grow the plant. If you're really worried about it, remove the berries and destroy them before they're ripe.

Florida was a sand dune millions of years ago. EVERY plant that grows here was "invasive" at some point. People who think everything should stay exactly the way it is right now are delusional. Mother Nature doesn't work that way.

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tradition, I agree and am not exclusive. I know I do not want a "weedy" yard so I research the plants before I plant. I am not against weedy either, just don't want to be committed to the yard all day, every day. My greatest hope is I become a byway for butterflies as they flit from garden to garden and a host to butterflies of florida. I have had a few butterflies so far. Monarchs are laying eggs and I got a corky stem passionvine yesterday and I have two cats that I have seen on it already.
    Thanks for your help everyone! Most appreciated. I have just joined the sight the other day and you all have been so helpful already!

10 years ago

Mae-pop, welcome to the GardenWeb! It's always fun to have new people join us!

Carol

• Mae-pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol!

• DunedinDan
    10 years ago

If you really think it smells like lilac, I would think it is the orange jasmine. That is exactly what I think our orange jasmine smells like. The sheet says the ligustrum is a somewhat unpleasant smell.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

It is Ligustrum sinense.

What part of Florida do you live in? It is only invasive in north FL, once you get south of Ocala I don't see it escaping and naturalizing. There was a hedge of it at a house I used to rent and it never produced seedlings. Many plants are that way, behaved in in part of Florida but invasive in another.

10 years ago

Eric, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm always so glad when you pop in - you always have a great little nugget of wisdom. Thanks for the edumacation. It reminds me of pennywort (dollarweed) which is sold as an annual up north!

Mae-pop, that is good news! You can decide what you want to do. It does have a pretty flower and if you like the smell, that is all that matters.

Carol