Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Political Signs used to Build Raised Garden Beds

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 11:13

Saw this interesting article linked in the Texas Gardening Forum. A non-profit group called "Food is Free" is using old political signs to build drought-tolerant, four-by-four gardens in people's front yards. The project leader says the wire stands of political signs make great tomato trellises, and the signs themselves are perfect as liners.

Here is a link to the news article and video, and below is a link to the Food is Free website. The Guides and How-Tos are on the project website under the "Resources" tab.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/285120/political-signs-transform-into-nonpartisan-garden-gear/

Here is a link that might be useful: Food is Free Project

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Political Signs used to Build Raised Garden Beds

Brilliant!

o

Now, if we could only find a good use for the politicians!

Lou

o

Think how well the plants will grow with all that added BS

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 12:56

Lou - Bamboo - You guys are funny! And I agree, lol

Silvia

o

Man, I'm for recycling everything I can. (including the politicians). I've used those signs most frequently to guide people to my plant and yard sales. I staple poster board to the thin ones and paint the corrugated ones with gesso, which is water proof. Never thought to use them as plant cages though. I always learn so much on this forum!

o

Doesn't Tom do a form of this wicking bed thing with 5 gallon buckets?

Becca

o

Yep - he does!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom's Buckets

o

Awesome! I used one of those sign-holder things as a trellis for a couple years until I hit it with the mower. Oops! Great use of the actual sign part!

o

This is a very good web site. It helps every one. any one can visit this site. Any one can get help from this site any time.
You are well come twenty four hours a day in this web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: political signs

o

This is a very good web site. It helps every one. any one can visit this site. Any one can get help from this site any time.
You are well come twenty four hours a day in this web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: political signs

o

I need to re-line my raised bamboo beds and love this idea but am concerned about toxins from the product potentially leaching into the soil. Any thoughts on that? I'm currently using cardboard which has only lasted two seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here