Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

anyone growing purslane

irun5k
13 years ago

So in this dry summer heat, I've been trying to landscape with stuff that is at least partially drought tolerant. I have no experience with any of these plants, so it is all trial and error. I've already had great luck with Dallas Red lantana this year. Next, the colorful blooms on the purslane at Lowes and the Depot sucked me in. Each plant covered with large, colorful blooms.

Then I started researching purslane and it was all bad press. Basically, everyone calls it out as an invasive weed with a few posts here and there about people who eat it... but not much on using it in a flower garden.

Yesterday I noticed why... my neighbors unmaintained lawn is nothing but a weed garden and I spotted some wild purslane. Tiny leaves and even tinier flowers. However, this is nothing at all like what I bought & planted!

What do you guys think? Are some of the newer cultivars due some respect? The variety I planted, grown by Costa Farms, seems to close up early. Much earlier than 5pm, even in full sun. OTOH, I was really surprised to see them in full bloom this morning, a very overcast day with so direct sun. Supposedly they'll grow asa perennial here in St. Pete.

I'm also wondering if these new cultivars are sterile. While the flowers are attractive, I don't want this stuff popping up anywhere but where I chose to plant it! I contacted Costa Farms, but haven't gotten a response. Would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Comments (14)

• sis3
    13 years ago

I grew it last year. It disappeared during our cold winter here in north Pinellas. This spring it reappeared and is now flowering profusely - but only where I planted it! I haven't seen a single stray plant. HTH.

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

I love this plant when it is newly planted. But, it always either gets a scale insect on it or gets too wet, leggy and ugly, needing to be cut back, and it freezes. Also, it does seem to revert back to the wild plant when it reseeds itself, and that isn't very attractive and it is a little invasive. So, again, I like it when it's new but otherwise it's a pain.

• saldut
    13 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE purslane ! it comes back up every year and blooms all summer, and abt. the only pest for me is mealy-bug and a bit of spray takes care of that.... if you are getting some of the wild purslane just pull it out, it is not the fault of the domestic plant but prob. in your soil already... when it dies back during cold weather just trim it back and leave it and it comes back when it's warmer... it makes a nice companion plant to patience plants, since they die off in the heat and then here comes the purslane ! also, purslane is so easy to root, just break off a sprig and stick it in the ground and it grows and you can have lots more plants from that one little original one you bought at Lowes.... it does like a rich composty soil so add lots of black cow and milorganite and alfalfa, just as you do for roses..... get some in all the different colors and it makes a fantastic display....... sally

• cjc45
    13 years ago

I love purslane, planted it around my pond this year. It's not invasive but then I don't think the wild purslane is invasive either though it will spread a little if you leave it alone.

My purslane will sometimes come back but it doesn't do as well the next year so i just treat it as an annual. I go for the yellow and coral.

• castorp
    13 years ago

I had all of the problems ritaweeda mentions and then some. If wanted some quick color for a few months, I might use it again, but it never lasts for me.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses... interesting to see everyone's experiences.

Most years we avoid a freeze where I am at (near downtown st. pete, close to tampa bay) so I'm curious to see what happens over the winter.

I suppose, worst case, even treating it as an annual isn't bad since you mention, Sally, some other common annuals can't take our heat. It seems likely that this might be one that truly lasts from early spring to late fall (which, lets face it... in FL is almost the whole year.)

One thing I am also learning about plants is not all cultivars are created equal. Actually, what I really have learned since getting into gardening is how how many cultivars there actually are for any given plant! Of course the big boxes rarely label the plant with the cultivar name... local garden centers seem to do better but still aren't 100% perfect in this regard.

Also a good tip on rooting.. will have to try. Even if I don't need them myself, a nice simple pot with some purslane flowing over would make a nice gift.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

Temperatures at your region are not as much as ours and humidity is quite similar. Purslanes, Perennial & Annual Portulacas are blooming their heart out here.

As they are growing very quickly, they get leggy and we chop them off, I have chopped my annual Portulacas for about three time since their planting in late April this year. New branching appear in the next week followed by multiple blooms.

Purslane and Perennial Portulacas get somewhat dormant in our mild winters, not growing & blooming for about three months, as soon as summer arrives they start their blooming cycle again.

One thing for sure, they need full sun for about 4 - 5 hours. Lesser the direct sun, lesser will be the blooms and more often they will become leggy as they stretch for more sunlight.

Here is a recent shot where you can see the Portulacas (on 26-06-2010)

I will post some Purslane pics if you like.

Cheers~

Izhar

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    13 years ago

Izhar: Your flowers make for such a cheerful area. The larger leaved gray-green plant in the upper left of your garden area (in this picture) provides such a nice contrast. What is it? - June

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

This gray-leafed plant is a volunteer Datura alba, it's creamy white blooms open by evening with a smell like roasted peanuts..!!!!

It is just two months old and has become more than 3 feet tall with same spread..

Well frankly i don't like it because its smell interfere with the heavenly fragrance of my Tuberoses, you can see some white blooms at the right side, but my father stopped to take it off...

Sorry irun5k, i have no intention to hijack your thread..

Izhar

• irun5k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Izhar, no problem! Thanks for sharing your garden. I love seeing other peoples pictures. I have found that even a small garden area brings me a lot of enjoyment. In fact, I'd rather have a smaller area that I can keep nicely manicured, rather than a large area that would have to fend for itself :)

It seems there is a good amount to be learned from similar climates/similar latitudes around the world. In fact I think the Pizazz purslane cultivar came from a breeder in Israel and are now available here in FL.

• dora-guerra_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I too love purslane and last year it bloomed profusely all summer. I replanted it this year, and though the plants are healthy, they are not blooming at all. I can't help wonder what might be wrong. I've always had purslane in my gardens and it has always bloomed. Help!

• RedfishB
    11 years ago

We have bee hives and our bees LOVE purslane and the flowers are so pretty. We keep them in big pots and I was wondering if it would come back, if it doesn't I'll definitely be buying more this year.

• echobelly
    11 years ago

I planted purslane seeds in a raised bed of greens a few years ago. It's very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. I used it in salads, but the leaves are so small it takes a while to pick. It is also the most invasive plant I have ever had. I'm finding it sprouting up in every potted plant I have, and sometimes dedicate an afternoon to just pulling purslane. I don't think I'll ever be rid of it, as it flowers and goes to seed even when tiny and hardly noticeable.

• nuzi123
    9 years ago

Hi I was searching information about growing purslane. My friend gave me some seeds and I have not grown this before. I got very useful information. Thanks . I have one question with Azhar . Can you tell me what is purslane in Urdu. Is it khulfa? I am not sure. By the way your garden is so beautiful.
    I live in ponte vedra beach, that is north Florida. Do you think it will grow here.