Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inulover

My tomato experiments

I have a terrible time with nematodes and stunted, diseased tomatoes. Silvia has such beautiful tomatoes that I decided to try pots.

Best plant so far has been Jet Setter in the ground. Good sized fruits with few disease problems.

The tomatoes in the pots have either had few fruits, or no fruits. The cheap potting soil that I got this year drains fast, really fast. The plants wilt if they don't get water twice a day. I am mixing my own soil now. Next time may be better. In pots:
Absinthe - Huge bushy plant, one fruit.
Yellow Beefsteak - Average size plant, fungus, no fruit.
Kellog - Lots of yellow and brown leaves, one small fruit.
Unknown - Should have been a Kellog, turned out to be a cherry of some sort. Had good harvest once the stink bugs were crushed.

I do have a plan though. I got a grafting kit and plan to put disease resistant heirloom tomatoes in the ground. The first pass used Celebrity as rootstock. Standard root stocks are 35 cents a seed, so you want to have some idea you can make the graft take before committing. The plants below are Super Sioux on Celebrity. They have been out of the humidity chamber and under lights for a week and are starting to grow. I will start the Maxforte root stock in a couple of weeks so I can put some Cherokee Purple and Super Sioux in the ground for fall.

Larry

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!