Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Key Lime Tree - why no fruit ?

Posted by jofus 9b/10a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 11:19

I purchased a 4 ft Key Lime tree from a nursery in Homestead, Florida in March, 2009. It was full of small green limes and white flowers. They grew and I had fruit up the ying-yang the rest of the year. Moderate watering, moderate compost applied and moderate to sparce fertilizing ensued everry few months.
The tree is now almost 6 ft tall and looks healthy, but no fruit at all since the last limes dropped last December.
I expected more small fruits in the early part of this year, but none ever appeared. Lots of green leaves all over, some small blotches of yellow on a few leaves. But still no flowers this year, not a sign of any to this day.
What happened ? Could the cold spell we had here in early January, 2010, have affected the tree production ? Do these trees only fruit every other year ? Am perplexed.
Thanks for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Key Lime Tree - why no fruit ?

jofus,

I have noticed very little to nothing for flowers and/or fruit on my different citrus plants. One lemon on my lemon trees, 3 oranges on the orange trees, nothing on my kumquat trees, but my protected little 3 foot tall container citrus is loaded with little fruit. I'm blaming it on the cold we had this winter.

Lou

o

jofus,

Growers push the trees to get them fruiting because that's what people buy. Typically citrus won't fruit consistently until the tree is about seven years old. It is recommended that you remove the occasional fruit from a young tree in order to get it to put it's energy into growth. Patience is called for.

o

couple of things one is that the abnormal winter definately messed up the lemon and lime fruit set. the other is at least for me in merritt island we are basically in a drought!! my other citrus definately shed a bunch of immature fruit due to lack of water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here