Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wardog25

Any advice on fruit tree placement in the yard? Esp. my red navel

wardog25
10 years ago

This question is a bit nit-picky, but I'm wondering if any of you fruit tree experts can think of things I haven't.

I have essentially exhausted all the "good" spots in my yard for trees. But I bought 3 more trees anyway (yes, I'm an addict) and now I'm finding places for them.

The trees I bought are guava, starfruit (Kary), and red navel (cara cara). All are 1 year old.

The three available spots all have trees to the south of them, so winter sunlight will be mostly filtered.

Spot 1: 6-8 hours of full sun in summer. No direct sun in winter, just filtered. (sidenote:, any part of the tree lower than 5 feet will get only 3-5 hours of sun in summer, but the taller it gets, the more sun it gets)

Spot 2: 5-6 hours full sun in summer. (11am-5pm) 1-1.5 hours sun in winter, the rest filtered.

Spot 3: 4 hours full sun in summer (9am - 1pm). 1-1.5 hours sun in winter, the rest filtered.

My first thought was that since the guava and starfruit can flower at various times in the year, give them a little less sun in summer and they should make do. That would put the red navel in Spot 1. But I don't know enough about red navels fruiting season to know if no direct sunlight in winter will inhibit production. Also, will it grow tall enough for a significant portion of the tree to take advantage of the extra sun when taller than 4-5 ft?

Comments (3)