Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenforthesoulfl

Help! White Bugs / Insects on Mango Tree :(_

I want to come to you for help. I need clue for this bug or insect. any help is appreciated(- _-,)

Comments (13)

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

EEEEKKKK!!!! Looks like it has a human skull face. That's just too creepy.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

I'm guessing mealybugs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealybugs

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I don't think its mealybugs...I found this closeup picture on Yahoo and it looks different.

Im not positive if those are the same ones I see occasionally on my Mango trees or note...but if it is I've never seen any damage or bad issues when I do...

I would like to know what they are also...they are extremely creepy on your close up photo,lol...

The next time I see it again...I'll try to take a close up picture and compare it to your picture...

Mealybug Photo from Yahoo

• saccharum
    9 years ago

Different species of mealybug look somewhat different - the one on your mango there looks like a striped mealybug, Ferrisia virgata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugguide: Striped mealybug

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Good call, saccharum! That's an interesting mealybug.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Guess I was wrong,lol...great job saccharum, thanks!

That is one creepy looking mealy dude,lol...

• rosaholicme
    9 years ago

If you need to use something no too toxic, try grinding garlic and hot pepper, strain the sediment, add water and a tip of oil then spray. You might to do this several times to get completely rid of them but the up side is that you will not harm the fruits.

• scogebear
    9 years ago

Probably a Sri Lanka Weevil.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    9 years ago

Sure looks like a Sri Lanka Weevil :

Little Leaf Notcher Weevil - Myllocerus undecimpustulatus

This species is very similar to the common, native, broad-nosed weevils (Artipus floridanus) found in Florida, but has been imported from Sri-Lanka. It feeds on a wide variety of host plants and has become quite established in the southern half of the state.

There is a great article and a key at The Florida Dept. of Agriculture website, and also a leaflet on pest potential.

Haven't seen any in Charlotte County yet ! TBTG !

This post was edited by jofus on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 14:08

• greenie1_gw
    9 years ago

I hope it's not the sri lanka weevil. I've been battling them for several years now and have yet to find anything that controls them other than the pick and squish method. Bayer's doesn't seem to bother them. I finally pulled up a small crepe myrtle because they demolished it every year. Now I just found them on my hibiscus. Let me know if you find anything that works.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I thought Sri lanka weevils had very hard shells almost like an armour? That's probably why there's nothing out there to kill them...its like spraying a protective hard shield...

Mealybugs have soft bodies, usually soap/water/oil and or alcohol usually works on them...though you have to treat them a few times to kill the eggs as well.

• greenie1_gw
    9 years ago

That's right. I was just on the UFL website, they recommend Sevin. Something I haven't tried yet but I will.

• scogebear
    9 years ago

The last three years I've been infested with them and the last two years both that weevil and white fly. This year I haven't seen either of them, can't figure it out, but not complaining! They both loved my hurricane palms and mahoe hibiscus.