Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Question [bamboo rabbit?]

Posted by nova z9A Ocklawaha (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 11:38

I am currently growing some 26 blueberry bushes in tubs and am getting ready to do the annual prune and top off the tubs with fresh mulch and peat. My question is this - I usually use pine bark that comes in bags from the big box stores but this year, due to a recent tree trimming I have access to a large amount of freshly chipped pine - branches, needles, etc. - Would it be ok to use this mixed with my peat to top off the tubs? Or would it be too "fresh" - the chips are less than 1 week old - and possibly "burn" my plants.

Thanks for any advise!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Question [bamboo rabbit?]

Hi, Susan,

I am sure BR has some great info for you.

That said; The only negative I have ever heard about fresh chips is that they tend to lock up nitrogen and only release it after they are well rotted.

Because of this, I like to add some high nitro fert when using fresh chips. (Just had a load show up this morning!)

Veronica

o

Nova,

I just planted one of you last week:) well the mandarin anyway.

I am assuming it will just be a couple inches of the chips? If so no problem at all as it takes a good depth of mulch before they will heat up. Far as the N being tied up that only happens at the soil interface so no worries. I guess you fertilize anyway just before or when you prune?

I just finished giving mine a hair cut last weekend.

o

• Posted by nova z9A Ocklawaha (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 15:22

Hi Veronica! Long time since I stopped in here. I still have the rose you gave me the time we met up at Rose Petals with Sherry. I think of you everytime it blooms!

Thanks Bamboo Rabbit! I do only add a couple of inches of the mulch/peat combo to each tub. I fertilized last week in between monitoring the tree trimmers. This week is haircut time and, having a mountain of pine chips piled up,I really hate going out and buying more!

Susan

o

Nice to hear from you, Susan. That rose was a double rooted cutting and my Souvenir de Fran�ois Gaulain is doing well, too.

I am pleased with Isabella Sprunt. She is a reliable, back-of-the-border plant. Thank you for that rooted cutting.

I don't know what the heck is going on with that Cornelia cutting you gave me. She is a huge octopus that has yet to bloom!

I urge you to try Climbing Pinkie. I can't get over how vigorous and healthy this THORNLESS plant is. I just planted it last August (a small one gallon) and it is ten feet high and then cascades over. I see new basal shoots coming on...

The roses are maturing beautifully in my garden and I hope yours, too. Still remember those spectactular leaf pavers you made. Wow!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here