Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkin_gw

Eric, question about Jerusalem Thorn

katkin_gw
9 years ago

I have a 20 ft tree I grew from seed and it's over 10 years old. For some reason it doesn't look good this year, leaves look stunted and it's not flowering. Is their something that effects this tree a lot or is it short lived? I just treated it with Bayers Tree and Shrub, but couldn't find anything in the leaves like a bug. TIA

Comments (4)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Kat - Jerusalem Thorn does not like water. Consider that it's a desert tree. It's possible that with all the rain, your tree might have received too much. A fungus is possible, especially now that we're into the rainy season. You might try a mild, general purpose fungicide.

• katkin_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Ricky. But I've been having a problem with this tree for a year now, so I don't think it's the water. I'll have to check out a fungus. Thanks again. :o)

• eric_9b
    9 years ago

Its hard to say without seeing it. JT is a type of palo verde, the most moisture tolerant one. It can tolerate our high rainfall in summer but needs a well drained soil and good air circulation in full sun. But they do seem to be short lived here, 10-20 years is average.

Is there lawn underneath it? Some trees are ultra sensitive to herbicide use under their canopies such as those in weed n feed products.

• katkin_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Eric. It is in full sun and there is a bromeliad bed under it and grass around that, which I have used weed and feed on. I will be more careful not to use it there in the future. No other trees are around it. It is over 10 years old now though.