Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eugenia / Firebush in south fla?

Posted by RoachForLife none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 12:00

Was looking at Eugenia and Firebush as a hedge between my neighbor and me. Looking to have about 7ft, maybe a little bigger. I like how bushy the Firebush is but honestly not a huge fan of the 'red' leaves.

Wondering if there is a certain strain that has less red leaves and less blooming than others? Also wasnt sure if south fla, due to the climate (and lack of seasons), that it would prevent the leaves from changing color anyway

Also if doing a hedge, how narrow can i make the hedge and still have it pretty dense? this is the nice thing on the eugenia that it takes maybe 2ft to be thick/dense. Same with firebush?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eugenia / Firebush in south fla?

Its hard to know exactly which eugenia you mean, but here's info on the firebush (Hamelia Patens)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamelia patens @ Floridata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here