Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Free White/Light Pink Rain Lily Seeds

UPDATE: THE SEEDS ARE ALL GONE. I'M OUT OF SEEDS. HOPEFULLY MORE IN JUNE OR JULY 2015!

I have some fresh white/light pink rain lily seeds (Zephyranthes) to share. Just send me a self-addressed, stamped business-size envelope. (It needs to be business-size because I can't fit a snack-size ziplock bag in a smaller envelope.) Please see details farther down this post.

To see photos of my rain lilies, go to this thread from last year and scroll down about half way to my post on Friday, June 1, 2012.

Rain lilies are more petite than amaryllis, although they are in the same family. Unlike amaryllis there is only one flower per stem/stalk. They seem to know when it rains and will bloom shortly after a rain (and will generally not do the same when watered, even if you give them the same amount of water). These are full sun plants and need at least a half-day of sun to bloom. They will not do well or bloom in shade. They can take all the sun you can throw at them. They are tough and hardy and are a perennial - they will come back year after year. The seeds are a very fast germinators and the plant is a fast grower. Also, unlike amaryllis, these are easily brought to blooming size in one year (whereas amaryllis generally take three years). They multiply quickly through both seed and bulblets and in just a few years, form a nice clump. I started with one, YES ONE, rain lily bulb in 2006. It was a freebie thrown in with a crinum bulb purchase. Now I have hundreds all over my yard. I have used the clumps as a border grass all around my full-sun beds.

I have sown all of my seeds directly in the garden although if you want to track and nurture these more carefully, you may want to start in small cups. I found that they germinated and grew quite easily when sown right where I want them to grow.

If you are interested, please send me an email and I will send you my address. I know many of you already have my address from the amaryllis seed giveaway, but I need to keep a list because I have a limited supply. So please send me an email first and I will put you on the list and email back a confirmation that I have seeds for you. I can only send seeds to those who email first. Then send me a regular self-addressed, stamped business-size envelope. The seeds are flat and can easily be mailed in a regular envelope. A padded envelope is not necessary.

A link to send me an email is below.

Anyone else who has rain lily seeds to share and wants to jump on this thread, you are more than welcome!

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Send me an email

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 20:39

Comments (29)

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I sent you an e mail.

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Carol,
    I sent you an email as well. Thanks for the offer.
    Rhonda

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Allymarie, I am unable to reply to your email because your profile settings do not allow me to respond. Would you please update your profile and send me another email.

Thanks!
    Carol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, I am all out of seeds. So glad so many people wanted them!

Allymarie, I never heard back from you, and I couldn't reply to your email due to your profile settings, so if you see this, try me later in the summer because I will probably have more.

Morningloree, I still haven't received your envelope. Do you still want seeds? I am holding a pack for you.

For all of the folks who sent me envelopes: all of the seeds will be mailed tomorrow morning (Monday, June 8) so you should receive them sometime this week!

Here's a tip I thought I better post: Rain lily seedlings look like a very, very thin, fine hair/grass blade. Be careful that no one pulls them or mows them, thinking it is a weed! Below is a link to a good photo - second link on Google search results.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Lily Seedlings

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 12:42

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Carol,
    Thanks so much for the seeds, I can't wait to get them. Thanks also for the heads up on the seedlings. I'll make sure to put them somewhere I know my husband won't mow :)
    Rhonda

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

Oh, sad I missed this! But glad for the thread, as I have some rain lilies planted, but NOT in full sun, and they don't flower.

Today, I shall dig them up and move them somewhere sunnier. :) Do you think they'd do well in a large pot for now?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aharriedmom, I don't have any experience with rain lilies in pots, so I'm not really sure. My guess is that they would be fine - especially if moved into full sun. I sent you an email.

Carol

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Carol,
    I got the seeds today :) I can't wait to get them planted. Thanks so much!
    Rhonda

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Carol. The seeds are here and I'll sow them this afternoon. The kids are excited too !

Susie

Edited to add: They are sown ! I'll keep you posted.

This post was edited by cocoabeachlorax on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 15:16

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Carol,

Well, I'm sad to say that so far we have 0 % germination. I'm keeping them moist, but not soaking, they're getting plenty of sun, but nothing's happened.

Is it a foregone conclusion that I've failed or do I keep the faith ? Is it possible it's just too hot ? Should I let the trays dry out and try to 'revive' them in the early fall ?

Strangely enough the plumeria seeds that I was rather ambivalent did produce several babies, yet the amaryllis and rain lilies that I was so excited about... nothing.

Sigh...

Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so sorry and disappointed! The seeds were most definitely fresh. I'm most surprised that the amaryllis seeds didn't germinate - those have always been fairly easy. I set the pots on the concrete inside the screened in porch - faces west and gets afternoon sun - boom, they come up with very little care from me. I am really puzzled on those.

The rain lily seeds are a little tougher. I put out lots in my yard as full-sun bed-edging last year - they did nothing for the longest time - and then early spring this year, there were suddenly tons of little green hairs. If you are getting tired of watching/tending to them in starter pots - and I'm sure your kids have given up by now, LOL - maybe try tossing them in a place in the yard where you might notice if they germinate through Mother Nature. Again, I am so sorry and disappointed.

Carol

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Oh Carol ! No I'm sorries from you, I am so sorry. I'll just keep watering the trays and watching and waiting. Right now I know that I have not drowned them, and I have also not dried them out, so I'm just going to keep the faith and hope that something happens. It's reassuring to know that the rain lilies took a long while, it gives me hope. If anything interesting happens you'll be the first to know !

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Thanks for the seeds, I will plant them in one of my flower beds.

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Carol ! Good news, I see tiny little wisps of green in the rain lily flat. Just a few, but it's fantastic to see success ! I'll keep you posted on their progress. I'm not sharing it with the kids because I'm afraid they'll not resist "petting" them.

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Can you see the babies ?

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I have had some recent weed whacking disasters, I have been afraid to put mine out, but your babies are so cute, I'll find a safe place to plant mine.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Susie, I am SO happy! YAY!! I know it is only seeds, but it really disappoints me when they don't germinate for ya'll. All you really need is one rainlily (remember that is all I started with), because they multiply so quickly, but a bunch is even better! Yes, those tiny little green hairs are what you want. Great job and I'm so glad for the kiddies, too, when the new "pets" are big enough for them to enjoy. :)

Carol

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

I'm not giving up on the Amaryllis, either. I'll keep the updates coming.

The Plumeria are doing pretty well, too.

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

They keep hanging in there, so I'm hopeful. I've counted 13 total at various heights that I choose to label eensy weensy, itty bitty, and plain old tiny. Looking good, and it's so much fun to watch them develop.

I introduced them to the kids and warned them to be careful caretakers of the new babies. They were so happy to see babies.

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

I'm late to the party by a wide margin - but anyone still have habranthus robustus seed available? I would love to start some. I have zepheranthes citrina seed I can trade in return.

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

Sorry Sunworshiper.

But to update the babies are growing nicely, a few even have a second leaf and we're up to 15 growing !

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sun, I will check the yard this afternoon to see if I have any pods.

Cocoa, it is great to know that so many have sprouted! It is a relief to know that the seeds were viable. Good deal!

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 12:46

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Thanks for checking Carol!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't have any pods yesterday but I will continue to keep an eye out and let you know as soon as I do. There were some flowers so there will be some eventually. I think Leekle (?) wanted some too.

Carol

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Awesome - thanks Carol! I'll tag some of the citrina pods I have ripening currently for you.

• jcanmimi
    10 years ago

I'm having trouble locating love_the_yard's email to get on this year's list. Every time I click to send an email I get asked over and over again to log in. I have cookies enabled. I'd love to get rain lily seeds from somewhere if anyone can find a way to contact me or vice versa. Thanks in advance for any help provided! -KK in Central Texas

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jcanmimi,

Can't reply directly to you - you have your profile settings such that your email address is hidden. See picture below.

As I posted back on July 7, 2013, I am out of rain lily seeds. If I have extras this year, I will post again and love to share! You are right - they are great little border or filler plants.

Happy gardening!

Carol

• sun_worshiper
    9 years ago

Hi Carol,

I'm still interested in seeds if you have any this year. Some of my other kinds of rain lilies are starting to bloom, so thought I'd see if yours are too. I collected some gladiolus dalenii seeds this week i could send you in trade. Also, I have lots of things that could be propagated form cuttings, anything in particular on your wish list?

If anyone else has habranthus robustus or habranthus brachyandrus seed to share, I'd love to hear from you.

Angela

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Angela,

Check your email.

Carol

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz