Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inulover

Stone Fruit

There is a fellow on #44 outside of Crystal River that has a sign out "U-Pick Nectarines". We drove down last week and he did indeed have nectarines. You could pick your own or buy little buckets. We bought a little bucket and have been gorging ourselves on the sweet little fruits all week. They are small, but they sure beat anything we have had at the store or roadside stands. We are going back this week to get more.

My citrus is not being impressive and Hong Dong is just a matter of time for them. I dreamed of having my own citrus for 20 years, now that I do it is all crashing... But, If I can't have oranges, maybe I should try peaches, or the fuzz-less version, nectarines.

Are there any GW growers of stone fruit near Inverness that can recommend varieties, and where I might get dwarf versions? I think I remember Mr. Rabbit having stone fruits.

Larry

Comments (2)

• TampaBull
    9 years ago

I live further down in Seffner, and I grow various:
    - Peaches (Flordabelle, Florida Grande, Florida Prince, Florida Glo, Tropic Beauty, Tropic Snow, UFOne, UFSun,)
    - Plums (Gulf Beauty, Gulf Blaze, Gulf Gold, Gulf Ruby,)
    - Nectarines (Sunhome, Sunmist, Sunraycer,)
    - Pears (Hood, Floridahome,)
    and even
    - Apples (Anna, Dorsett Golden, Ein Shemer, Tropic Beauty.)

I'm also growing 2 low chill sweet cherry trees as an experiment (Royal Lee and Minnie Royal) !!! There's not much info I can gather on how they survive here, but they've grown pretty well since I got them. However it may be another year or 2 before they start producing.

You should be in even better shape as you have more chill hours than I do (you're in the 310 - 420 range.)

Most online places ship from late fall to early spring to prevent heat from damaging the trees. One online option, that is located in Florida is "Just Fruits and Exotics." If you're willing to drive to Crawfordville, they are open almost year round for pick-up.

It's a bit difficult to find dwarf rootstock (some of mine are, as they were carried by my local nursery, but not anymore) however most are grafted in semi-dwarf roots. I've had more problems with trees on the dwarf ones, and just keep the semi-dwarfs potted and pruned.

Another option is to look for EZ-Pruned trees. These are trees that have been pruned way low to have them branch out near the ground to keep the tree smaller. This keeps the tree smaller.

Unfortunately I've given up on citrus (I had multiple varieties ans well) and am switching over to stone fruits. So sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits and Exotics

• inulover (9A Inverness, Florida)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. We went down to Crystal River Tuesday. He was out of nectarines, but he had peaches. And just by luck he had just returned from Gainsville with a pickup load of peach trees to expand his orchard. I talked him out of a Tropic Beauty. He let me have it for his wholesale price and even showed me how to train it up in a bowl. I'll get a Sun Ray nectarine this winter.

The cherry sounds interesting. I had a Stella Cherry in the side yard for 25 years when we lived in the NW. I miss fresh cherries. Please post progress reports on them.

Too bad about the citrus. Greening is starting to take hold up here. Maybe UF will find a resistant stock... or maybe Big Ag will quit doing stupid stuff like round-up ready and work on a tree vaccine... or maybe a greening vaccine for psylids.

Larry

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022