Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

good landscaping plants to start in summer

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I am moving into a new place in 2 weeks, and the wife and I insist upon landscaping the backyard. now I know that's something that shoulda been started in the spring, but we didn't live there in the spring.

what are some nice looking plants that are inexpensive that I can start soon, and will look decent? I'm a college student, and we'll only be living there for a year, so budget is a concern.

I intended to plant lots of marigolds, as they attract lacewings which eat the whiteflies that are attacking my hot pepper plants. if I plant them in the summer, are they just gonna die on me in the fall?

the backyard has good sun in some areas, shade in others. I'm looking for good ideas for both areas.

if the plants are edible, that's a major plus.

Comments (4)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Since you're only going to be there a year might I suggest foregoing planting things and instead 'landscape' your backyard with containered plants? This way, whatever investment you make in your landscape will be able to follow you to your next home. Unless you expect to be making a big change in climate when you move. With only a year to grow, this makes your options almost endless. You could even have small palms incorporated into your yard to give it that tropical look. The downside is that containered plants need more frequent watering, but this is something you would have to do anyways to keep 'summer planted' plants from wilting in the heat.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good point. we had discussed this as well.

what we figured we'd do is plant cheap annuals, stuff that won't last more than the year anyway, so when it dies in the cold, no big deal. marigolds are up for consideration because they're less than a dollar each - well within the price range. we figure that, and maybe a few cool looking but slightly more expensive plants as features would be good. I love gardening, so to me planting stuff is well worth the effort.

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Lowes reduces plants and places them on a discount rack, and Walmart has a discount section. You can find great bargains. I found Hibiscus and Mandevilla for five dollars. Big Lots sells some bulbs and barefoot roses for cheap, although some of the bulbs are not always Florida friendly. You can find plenty of friendly people to share cuttings, especially here!

Coleus, Pentas, and Bromeliads, are plants you can buy that reproduce easily. Canna Lily bulbs are cheap and grow quickly. Good luck!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Wax Begonias are inexpensive and bloom for a very long time.

You could also have fun with seeds in the ground space, fast-growing heat lovers like Zinnia, basil, Coleus, depending on shade vs. sun.

Do you know someone with established yard plants? You could get some cuttings going to have some perennials, shrubs, trees, ready to add to your new permanent yard, if that part of your future is expected soon, or to put in the ground of your rental if you would prefer. Confederate rose, butterfly bush, Lantana propagated at this time should get to the flowering point this year, instant gratification as far as gardening is concerned. Maybe also roses, Gardenia, Camellia... Figs are easy to propagate.

A great way to meet your neighbors is to tell them their yard looks great, ask how they do it. This can push the generosity button also, without actually asking... gardeners are generally quite generous, just be sure to keep whatever you are given in a pot, especially if it has roots, until you find out what it is (and how much of it you want.)

Glad to hear your education includes some gardening. Good luck with your entire endeavor!