water lily

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
had to show a pic of "Blue Goddess " Loves the heat gary

Comments (13)

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Gary! How old is the plant? (And how many are we seeing in this pic? I'm considering a small water garden, but can't decide whether I want-slash-need the extra work! LOL!

Thanks for sharing!

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Very nice, I started a small water garden. I have Dauben, a smaller tropical water Lilly. To me, it seems exotic to grow these in the yard. Your lillies are beyoootiful!

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    That is one plant maintained in a 4 gallon pot. In March after reworking the pool and maintained in shade it had 3 two inch pads . Has completely covered the surface of the 5x8 above ground . The variety is actually too big for such a small pond but I love the blue color ,size and aroma of the flowers. Only time it goes out of flower is winter and then only if it drops below 40 The original plant was first started in 1981. i guess you'd say it's hardy?? lol
    looking for some giant Asian lotus for the corner may be too big but the flowers and foliage are fantastic got to give it a try!!! gary

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Simply gorgeous!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I love the blue color of your water lily. It almost glows :) Is that one viparious?
    I started some in black trash containers one year. They even got a little afternoon shade and still did well. I camouflaged the trash containers with potted plants like colocasias etc.
    This is Red Flare (tropical night bloomer)

Panama Pacific (tropical day bloomer)

Yellow (hardy - forget the name)

You can also do lotus in containers as well. I have done all kinds of varieties even the ones that say they need a large pond lol. The only thing is, you will need to divide or thin out the more aggressive growers more often.

~Here is a bunch of containers that I grew lotus in -different sizes. I tried to put the smaller growers in the really shallow pots. This is when I first started the lotus in the pots.
    {{gwi:452169}}

Lotus Blooms later
    {{gwi:452174}}

{{gwi:452172}}

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    love the pads and flowers on Lotus Ever notice how they "dance" when it rains ?? Those seem to be slocum hybrids?? the asian specie gets 12 feet tall with 3 foot pads
    can I ask where you got your tubers?? i found some asians at Texas water gardens but they won't ship after May thanks gary

• User
    10 years ago

Congrats on being the GW facebook pic!!!!!!!!!

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wallisadi
    not sure what that means ?? I avoid all things computer my wife is quite active on" facebook " though is this something different?? gary

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

Gary, your photo was Garden Web's Facebook page photo of the day on Friday.

• Dr.Nature
    10 years ago

What's really amazing is Gary's picture was taken on a day that hasn't even arrived yet!

• User
    10 years ago

Not so unusual, my watch says it's the 16th, my clock in the truck says it's 3 pm, ..........:)

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi
    Well that's a great honor!!
    Dr. nature All my timers were messed up after the "end of time last year . In fact i think the 20th month has been canceled?? lol Thanks gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I got some of my tubers from ebay (different sellers) about 4 yrs ago and some I got from gardening friends. I think the reason they don't ship after the plant comes out of dormancy is so that the tubers don't 'drown' when they cut them. You are only supposed to divide the tubers after the leaves have turned brown and it has went dormant.
    ~Lyn

Here is a link that might be useful: dividing lotus tubers

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022