Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwnesmith

pine bark mulch or fines

jwnesmith
11 years ago

I live in Tallahassee and have looked all over for the above to no avail. I grow bromeliads and both of those are recommended to mix with peat moss and pearlite. I have been using orchid mix or bark but its expensive. I've looked in

Gainesville and will check in Orlando next time I am there.

Has anyone ever found this?

Thanks, Woods

Comments (12)

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi Woods

I get pine bark fines at this location, maybe somebody next to your area know other source...

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: pine bark fines

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Many of us use the purple bag labeled "Pine Mulch" sold at Walmart. It runs around $2.65 per bag. It is shredded pretty finely. It is not pine bark nuggets or mini-nuggets. It is actually shredded pine bark.

{{gwi:440842}}

{{gwi:440844}}

Carol in Jacksonville

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I buy that exact purple bag that Carol posted above...this is what it looks like. I use a strainer to sift the fine dust when I use it for the gritty mix...you don't need to sift it for the 5-1-1 mix though.
    {{gwi:10062}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Puglover, I was hoping you'd post that exact photo! I remember it from the previous thread about Al's Gritty Mix. Thanks!

Carol

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

You're welcome Carol...was happy to do it :o)

• abnorm
    11 years ago

I buy the bagged Pine Bark Fines from Elixson wood products...excellent product.....I buy from a retail mulch source (Sunrise)in Orlando.....The actual mill is located in north Florida near Starke......

"Joeworm" buys direct from the Mill......here's the contact info.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Elixson Wood Products in Starke Fl.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Ask and ye shall receive. Given where you're at geographically if a local Wally World doesn't carry them and isn't interested in helping you try these folks, they don't advertize it but if you do contact them you'll find that they do bag and sell fines ;-)

Tom

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I always get it from "Bushel stops" nurseries but lately the quality has been bad . Have you ever tried crushed lava rock?? I aklmost exclusively use that on orchids and terrestrial broms .Another is "leca " a type of fired clay but is also expensive. gary

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Have you ever tried crushed lava rock?

Hey Gary, I'm getting sucked into taking care of Cathy's orchids and feel they are not doing optimally in a bark based mix so I'm thinking about repotting them. Where do you get crushed lava rock reasonably priced? Are you mixing any other pebbles or minibark in with it?

Tom

• neonrider
    11 years ago

I have found a location in SC not very far and not very close (~120 miles) from where I live who sell pine bark fines/nuggets (about 1/2" in size) by trailer load of 55 cu. yards and with delivery and sales tax that would cost me a little over $1000 a load. A bit costly, isn't it? Yet that load would last me for years as I'm a hobbyist and not a nursery who sells loads. I grow several dozen to a couple hundred palms for my own landscaping needs. You think is worth investing thousand in pine bark fines? Would pine bark fines (tiny nuggets?) be good for growing palms in larger pots? Perhaps mix the pine bark fines with some soil and other stuff? I've read that pine bark nuggets are good to stop weeds. I wonder if they also would stop palm and pine tree roots from growing... :-)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    If i bought that much would cover my whole grow area not to mention the beating I'd get from the wife for spending that much!! lol
    Here is a pic of my last "potted palm" This is the largest pot I've ever used 3x3 feet !! Used a mixture of "cactus /palm along with some leca and pine / fir bark fines . have since mixed in about 3 gallons more leca as I thought it's holding too much water.
    WOW was that sucker heavy gary

• argreen73 (North Florida/Zone 8b)
    6 years ago
    Hi Woods, I’m about 5 years Kate, but in case you still get this I was going to let you know that I’m about to get a palate and would be happy to share, seeing as I really only want a few bags!