Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfc56

What avocado tree for zone 8

gfc56
13 years ago

I live in High Springs Fl. What variety avocado tree grows best in zone 8. What about Monroe or Mexicola Grande. Thanks

Comments (20)

• swrancher
    13 years ago

In your area I would not plant a West Indian type of avocado tree due to the possibility of cold weather damaging it. Of the two varieties you mention the Monroe is a West Indian one, thats more suited for South Florida. The Mexicola Grande is a Mexican type avocado that can take a lot more cold without injury but it prefers a dryer climate then Florida has but that would be the better choice of the two. I suggest you consider getting a Brogdon Avocado tree. Its a hybrid type of avocado, that is cold resistant and doesnt mind our humidity and frequent summer rains plus the avocado's from it taste great.

Tony

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks you have me sold on the Brogdon.

• billbrandi
    13 years ago

I second swrancher's recommendation. I have a Brogdon in my backyard that has survived both drought and freeze without missing a beat. And the fruit is plentiful and delicious.

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This past winter we got into the teens. The avg low winter temp is 44-56, record lows 10-22.

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you were blindfolded, could you tell the difference between a Brogdon and a California Haas.

• corar4gw
    13 years ago

hmmm - let me guess (blindfolded) The Brogdon would probably be a bit heavier and have a smoother skin??
    cora

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cora, sorry I should have specified taste wise.

• dghays
    13 years ago

Read this:

Cold Tolerance of Avocados
    Mexican avocado strains are the most cold tolerant, generally withstanding temperatures to 25 degrees F. The Mexicola variety is the most cold-hardy variety. It loses its leaves at 20 degrees F and the trunk dies at 17 degrees F. The avocado trees that do best in Texas are Mexican varieties grafted onto West Indian rootstock. The West Indian varieties have high salt tolerance and good disease resistance.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Taste wise the Hass and Brogdon are very similar in texture and taste. The main reason that I like the Brogdon is that I'm a Gucamole lover and it makes a great gucamole. Alot of the West Indian type avocados are just not creamy enough for good Gucamole. Plus it changes color when ripe makes picking at the right time very easy.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Another vote for the Brogdon in my opinion is not only better than Hass but bigger and yes it does make the best guacamole!

I saw one growing in Tallahasee at Just Fruits nursery and it was very tall.

Here is the Brogdon that I have

And the guacamole

Silvia

• dghays
    13 years ago

Are you guys noticing that almost any avocado tree in his zone will be killed by a freeze?

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

I have one 'HALL'(West Indian, Guatemalan cross)high cold tolerance and one 'DAY'(Persea americana)high cold tolerance avocado trees. Both made it through the 15 degree low temp we had here this winter. Yes they were protection covered but with no heat. They both still look like crap but are slowly coming back. No fruit this year though.

Lou

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Silvia the unrippened avocado you have pictured on your tree reminds me of what Publix calls a Florida avocado aka Fuerte. Hass, and Fuerte are the only varieties of avocado that Publix in my area stocks. I find the Florida avocado that Publix sells a bit too bland. I guess I am too used to eating a Haas.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Gfc,

I have grown and tasted a lot of avocados in my life,lol, including the fuerte, hass and others whith flavor 10 times better, but I can't grow them here. I had the mexicola and hass in Arizona and I liked them both.

Now, before you get your heart set into some varieties I would do serious research about avocados in your area and what can take the cold because there is nothing worse than loose a tree.

I know in my area 9b we had to cover or protect the trees from the cold. When they are bigger they are stronger and can take the cold more than a young tree.

I just like guacamole that is why I got carried away when somebody mention,lol.

Silvia

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just want to plant a avocado tree that is best suited for my zone. I think the Brogdon is perfectly fine for me.

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

gfc,

Just be prepared to build or put up some sort of shelter over it for the winter cold snaps and possibly a 60 watt bulb for heat in the shelter tent and it will survive. Mine had pup tents over them in zone 9 with no heat and they both survived 15F. Both trees are rated 22F cold tolerance.

Lou

• gfc56
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Lou and Silvia. I'd like to make a cold shelter suggested by Floridays. I also have a 10 year old Orlando Tangelo tree that seems to take the cold weather without any protection.

• ragunath
    13 years ago

Hey High Springs! I live in Alachua! Last spring I planted two cold hardy avocado varieties. I planted a Gainesville and a Mexicola. As you know last winter was a little crazy but both trees survived. My Gainesville died from the heat in the early spring. I think it may have actually been damaged by the cold and died later. I believe they do better with another tree to cross pollinate. Also you can buy cold hardy avocado trees locally at Chestnuthill tree farm.

• yan94
    12 years ago

Hello

I look for seeds avocado tree resisting the cold if you possess it to contact I.

Thank you for your help(assistant)